help what is this flower???!

mamashomestead

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Also I've never seen it flower but my she seem to think hes seen a stock with one big flower shooting. off of it. Lop he should be incharge of the flower site while I the chicken n herd lol :D

mamashomestead

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Kinda looks like a what I found for a Canadian species on wiki but I live in zone 4/5 in new york. Could it be??

mamashomestead

Leafing Out
Reaction score
looks a little like a small palm, but is actually more closely related to the lilies. The evergreen leaves of Adam's needle are straplike, about 1 in wide and up to 2-3 ft long. The leaves are basal that is, they all originate from one point, taking the form of a rosette

Adams needle maybe but it doesn't died like discriptipn say its always green and showing even covered in snow

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I would say it is yucca. I have two in my yard in Maine, so I am guessing you can grow them in NY.

I wish I could give you more info on the Batchelors Button. I have tried to grow them once because they reminded me of Nana s yard when I was little, but they didn't make it. My guess is they are pretty hardy. I would wait until after they bloom and then dig up a clump of them and plant them where ever you want to. If they are invasive, I wouldn't worry about hurting them. Sounds like they thrive where you are. :D

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, I believe that strappy looking plant is a yucca. They do look cool when they bloom, but I think they are a pain the rest of the year. However, they are a very useful plant; native Americans used them to make rope, shoes, baskets and all sorts of things. something about the root being medicinal, too. don't quite remember.

But that bachelor button doesn't have the kind of foliage that I remember. I recall the foliage as dusty green and rather lacy, not the large oval leaves yours has. Maybe different species?

mamashomestead

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for identification of both these plant very helpful :D

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Whether it is a yucca or a Nile lily, or other lily, it could be moved, or a bit divided off this fall, and moved into the sun. A lily will have much different roots than yucca. Both need sun for blooming.