help with cats in my garden

Dirttiller25

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Does any one have any tricks other than putting up a fence to keep cats from using the potty in my garden? Would using coyote or fox urine or something of that nature help? Only problem with that is I'm then afraid it would attract coyotes or foxes that would then get my goats or chickens. We've tried talking my mom into getting rid of them but she doesnt listen and we just cant make her understand how unhealthy and gross cat poo is.

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have a cat that I have soaked with a hose, squirted with water, popped with a pellet gun, and not only does she keep coming back, she sneaks into my house!!! I'm buying a dog in June that I will train to chase the cats out of the yard and house. :barnie

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Would putting up a cheap fence like chicken wire or even orange safety netting be out of the question?
You could perhaps put a sand pit in an unused portion of your yard, as an outdoor litter pan, that the cats would find more attractive than the garden soil, hopefully.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to live next door to a lady that fed dozens of feral cats. I stuck plastic forks, tines up, in garden. Didn't stop them but it slowed them down. Guess they didn't like getting forked when they squatted. LOL And don't even mention the cat pee spray!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Lavender is not real fond of cats either, :D ... although cats might help with a rodent problem.

If the cats are permanent, I agree with @so lucky, a more attractive potty place may help deter them while you make your garden less attractive. As I do with deterring deer, I wonder if it helps to use a few deterrents at the same time ... a list of things to try ... Keeping cats out

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will repeat my remedy for what it is worth. I find that putting a couple rows of Chestnut hulls around anything will keep varmints of all types away. It seems none of them like pricklies in their paws.

I gave some to my DIL whose cats kept digging in her potted plants and knocking them over. A few of them in each pot and her problem was solved. The cats never went back to their bad habits when she removed the hulls either.

Latest posts