Help with Volls please

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We have lots of volls on our property and before I realized the problem they cause they took out 3 of the 5 trees I planted.

So now Im getting ready for the garden and I'm building my raised beds with 1/2 wire mesh on the bottom, I figure that should handle that problem but still I need to learn the best plan for the 80 trees that are coming. some are just seedlings others are several years old in 10 gallon pots.

HELP! :tools gotta get ready fast! due here may 5th or so.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I make little tomato type cages out of chicken mesh and shove them down in the tree holes (maybe 16" in diameter or more depending on your root ball).

I'm very sorry, I have vole's badly too.

To help rid yourself of them, outside cats help.... but they have there little spike things you put in the yard over their tunnels... and if they pass by the spike thing, the spike shoots into the tunnel killing it. Brutal, but after 2 years of losing my mind over them, I am going to go ahead and start getting me some of them myself. I'm pretty sure vole's have gotten my asparus, and I paid good money for those roots to have lost so many since fall.

They also killed many a blueberry bush and grape vine as well.

I rather see them all DEAD!!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are talking about voles, right? They are sometimes called field mice but they definitely look like mice.

We are not talking about gophers?

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
My cats make quick work of them. I see the voles trails in the winter, but come spring the only ones I find are dead and in my hallway!!! Cats- gotta love them!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have 'em, too. I don't mind them too much, except the holes that they leave. My cats kill them, but I lost 2/4 cats this winter, so I best do something to get rid of them. I have heard of garlic spikes--anybody use these? My dog, "Rose" (below) sometimes kills voles.
DSC_1916.jpg

DSC_1909.jpg

These photos are with my other dog, Rose's "sister, "Pygma" Don't they look vicious?!?!? :lol: They're really very affectionate and friendly.
DSC_0559.jpg

Rose is my hunter. She's chased down/killed/eaten 6 wild rabbits so far. I saw her with a vole last summer. She caught it and tried to do it in quickly. The nasty thing bit her, but every time she was bitten she threw it way up in the air. I guess she finally beat it up enough to kill it.
BTW, Rose is NOT named after the flower. She was named after "Rose" of the 9th and 10th Doctors, from "Dr. Who." DD's named her, because she is a "time traveller." She IS pretty brave for a 60 pound dog. :D