Hen & Chicks (Pics added)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So I bought me a plant, separated a good chuck of one half of it... and stuck those babies in a pair of old boots on the deck. Now they're all bunched and crowded. So Can I somehow separate some again, or will they just over flow the boots and kind of spill over.

I don't want to kill them... but if I need to get more old boots for more plants I will. Drives my husband NUTZ that I have plants growing in shoes! :lol:

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your choice- they will spill over, or you can separate them... They don't have much of a root structure, so you can just sort of pull them off and replant. I love the boot idea- I used one of daughter's, years ago. By fall, I would recommend you get them planted in the dirt, so they can winter over. I absolutely love hens and chicks! Definitely one of my favorites!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem said:
I don't want to kill them... but if I need to get more old boots for more plants I will. Drives my husband NUTZ that I have plants growing in shoes! :lol:
That's funny! I planted some mints and creeping Jenny in my husbands old work boots (that I dug out of the trash) and put them on the front step. He says it's almost as classy as planting flowers in a toilet on the front lawn! :lol:

usschicago1

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
They will definitely do good either way! I love hens and chicks, I have 3 plants already flowering !

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
vfem said:
That's funny! I planted some mints and creeping Jenny in my husbands old work boots (that I dug out of the trash) and put them on the front step. He says it's almost as classy as planting flowers in a toilet on the front lawn! :lol:
:yuckyuck "Hey whats wrong with that?" :lol:

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Now, Ladies! You know men have trouble thinking outside the flower box! :lol:

I think we need pics of the boot/shoe planters so we can ooh and aah over them!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I will get my camera out and 'click click' some pics before I go through to do the transplanting of the chicks. ;)

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Definitely do that! I just love Hens and Chicks, but I'm not the best at growing them. I got about 100 chicks from a friend last year and just couldn't get them going. This year I bought a hen with about 8 chicks on it and planted it in a pot with 1/2 potting soil and 1/2 fine sand. The bottom leaves on the hen are dying and I have no clue what to do to correct whatever I'm doing wrong. Any thoughts? :barnie

Latest posts