Herb Garden - pics

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This is my herb gardens third season. I love the different scents, shapes and colours all in one place. It always makes me smile.

I featured it in my blog today with more pics and descriptions of what is growing.

http://mountaingardengleanings.blogspot.com/2011/06/herb-garden-update.html

IMG_3600.jpg

IMG_3599.jpg

IMG_3584.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Love, love, love that set-up! It looks so neat and tidy. How do use the chocolate mint in tea? Did you cut if before it flowered? Mine is doing pretty well, and I would love to dry some. Happy Gardening!

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just cut the mint back and dry the leaves. I use my dehydrator. I did this three times last year so had enough to give away when people tried it and liked it. The mint just regrows again and again.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's beautiful! I want to add something like that to our garden as well.

What do you use for your isles?? We just have dirt right now and I want to put something else down, but don't know what. I was thinking about pea gravel but... I dunno! I usually garden barefoot! LOL

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We went down to the river and got pails of sand. The Fraser River gets high and fast in the spring. When the water goes down there are huge areas of neat rocks and this sand that has alot of black and gray colours. I liked how it looked so we hauled a bunch home in 5 gallon pails. Alot of work - yes - but we didn't do it all at once and once it was done it didn't need to be done again.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, that is very nice, Joan! It's so tidy and orderly, makes you feel rather peaceful just looking at it. I saw a program once featuring a similar garden with instruction on how to build it. I can't remember now what they called it though. It was associated with a certain era of European gardening, I think...

ETA: I bet those dividers do a great job of keeping that mint in line! :cool:

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
jojo54 said:
We went down to the river and got pails of sand. The Fraser River gets high and fast in the spring. When the water goes down there are huge areas of neat rocks and this sand that has alot of black and gray colours. I liked how it looked so we hauled a bunch home in 5 gallon pails. Alot of work - yes - but we didn't do it all at once and once it was done it didn't need to be done again.
I wish we had things like that around here. We're just too close to the ocean for things like that to be around. LOL I guess we're gonna have to keep pondering what to use!

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Southern Gardener said:
Absolutely gorgeous! I want to do this in my front yard. Are those 4x4 posts you used?
No they were rough cut slabs from the sawmill nearby. They still have bark, etc on the outside and were very cheap. My DH and DS chose the best and straightest ones and sawed them to make the boxes 4'x4' with the individual squares being 2'x2'.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Really? The individual squares look bigger to me! Did you put down a weed / grass barrier before you put down the sand? I have a lot of grass that I would have to kill.

Latest posts