HERBS*** Companion Planting

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Slightly off-topic but I'm wondering what you think about this whole idea of trap crops, or what the author calls "sacrificial crops," Hattie.

The idea is to plant something that attracts pests "away" from other crops: calendulas and nasturtiums are given as examples of what will keep aphids off your beans. Yeah? Are you sure?

I've long thought that any plant that increases the pest population in your garden should be grown for some other benefit than attracting bugs. Surely, having 10,000 aphids in your garden rather than 10 can't be a good thing even if the great majority of the insects are eating something you don't intend to.

I mean, what are the guarantees that the aphids will be "polite guests" and only consume what is set before them?

(Now, I can understand luring them in and then sneaking up on 'em with a lethal spray . . . but, that does seem a little underhanded ;).)

Steve (who grows calendulas every year)

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Steve--I have wondered the same thing. I get the idea, but wouldn't that actually help increase the pest population in the garden, wherever they are?

me&thegals, who still uses the finger-squishing method to eradicate pests :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have several calendulas and marigolds planted. They are in 'surrounding' gardens to do the same thing. I see no true point in putting them in my veggie garden. However, I did put the french version in the garden after I was talked into it. So far I see NO insects on other version!?!?

My coneflowers are being SWARMED with aphids!!! All around the other plants, which have NONE?!

I am quite shocked, but I will not complain as I'm having a very low insect year. (Yes we've caught a fungus apparently and I've had slug issues....but not on many things?!)

I want to run a 'control' group test next year but moving some of my companion / sacrificial crops, as you called them. I would like to rotate them and see if the bugs change their approach?!

I love personal experience! :p

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Steve :frow

I'm for anything that gives me a warning & time enough to brew up Garandad's "Jollop" (which an old neighbour of mine tells me is an ancient local name for "gravy") to wallop them with. It does look like gravy, it's thick & viscous & IT SMELLS OF EVIL..........! :ep :gig :gig It also gets rid of most aphids if you can stand having it around in your garden................... :ya

:rose Hattie :rose

Latest posts