Herbs near a water fountain/fall?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's a question for all you herb experts...

I want to make a water fall or fountain in the corner of a fence. I plan to make niches and small beds in the stone as it progresses downward and plant herbs and some flowers. I don't intend to let the herbs get too wet but I can imagine with the splashing from the fountain or waterfall, they may get more moisture than usual at times. I don't intend to let the fountain run all the time, only when I am out on my porch to enjoy it or when company is here. Will the herbs do poorly if they are too wet? Also, I've heard herbs do better in poor, sandy soil. Is this true for only some herbs?

I am planting lavender, thyme, cilantro, chives, sweet marjoram? and rosemary. Also would like to include some key lime basil and chocolate mint that I have. Will add a bigger variety next year.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Here's a question for all you herb experts...

I want to make a water fall or fountain in the corner of a fence. I plan to make niches and small beds in the stone as it progresses downward and plant herbs and some flowers. I don't intend to let the herbs get too wet but I can imagine with the splashing from the fountain or waterfall, they may get more moisture than usual at times. I don't intend to let the fountain run all the time, only when I am out on my porch to enjoy it or when company is here. Will the herbs do poorly if they are too wet? Also, I've heard herbs do better in poor, sandy soil. Is this true for only some herbs?
Not poor soil, but lean soil, is what is usually mentioned. Herbs don't do well with lots of fertilizer, they do better in a welldrained, sandy soil that's been augmented with compost, at the most, although some will grow in the worst soil you can imagine

I am planting lavender, thyme, cilantro, chives, sweet marjoram? and rosemary. Also would like to include some key lime basil and chocolate mint that I have. Will add a bigger variety next year.
Lavender resents too much moisture at the roots. As long as the soil is well-drained and not constantly soaked most everything will do ok, just make sure to keep that lavender in the driest spot you can. Chocolate mint? Keep it contained, it'll overrun everything else if you don't!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have sent for the water pump. The herbs are growing nicely but I didn't get to put them in the niches like I had planned....just in two large niches to either side of the fall. It will be cute once its finished!

Actually, I have dial-up and I have found no feature on this computer, nor any program, that makes it able for me to resize photos for downloading to photobucket. I have Windows Vista and the usual art and photo programs but have been unable to find a tool or feature that deals with changing the pic size to an acceptable level. Now, I can scan a pic and resize it with THAT program but not the pics from my digital downloads. I haven't spent a lot of time on it, so it may be something simple I am missing here. :rolleyes:

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You can do it on, Photobucket, I understand, but I use Irfanview.

It's a free download; not too large of a file. If you download it, post under the "me" section, and I'll tell you how to easily use it to make your photos any size you like. :)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks! May get on here tonight and play around! It is very frustrating not to post a pic when someone asks.... :p

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cool! So, you can download a program from photobucket onto your computer that allows you to resize them before you have to download to the web?

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beekissed, go to Irfanview.com and download the program. It's very easy to use, if you need any help, Tutter or I can give you any info you need. I host all photos on my own webspace, I really don't like the hosting sites out there, Photobucket, Imageshack (that one particularly!), etc. If you get webspace with your internet connection, consider using it for forum photos, it's much quicker than any of those services.

Latest posts