Herbs

hsm5grls

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
DD are going to be in charge of the herb garden this spring. I have made an assignment out of it. I asked them to pick a few herbs they would like to grow and tell me why they picked it, what will it be used for, and what are this plants requirements. Then the final "test" will be the garden itself did they properly care for it, did they like the outcome ect. and then they can start a new herb garden based on there observations from the first and so on.
My question is (mostly for my own curiosity, but I am sure the girls will read this) what herbs do you grow and why? Do you make tea from them or use them in your cooking? What are your favs.?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sounds like a really good idea for your kids to do!

Me, I would love to grow dozens of herbs but am limited in time, cleared garden area, water requirements, and (frankly) attention span :p

So I grow 1-2 basil types each year, plus oregano, chives, parsley, and (you will think this is an odd addition) sweet cicely just because I looove the smell/taste.

If rosemary was hardy here I would surely have that too.

I cook with them all, and also like being able to fondle and sniff them as I am weeding etc ;)

Oh yeah, I planted lemon balm this year too - liked it, but it remains to be seen if it's hardy enough. And we have GIANT, BEAUTIFUL self-sown (=weed!) Elecampane plants in the side yard that we mow around 'cuz we like them so much... technically I guess that's an herb, right?

Pat

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grow many herbs, some for their ornamental quality, but many just because I love to walk outside and pick fresh herbs and veggies, it's just awesome to gather from your own garden to feed your family! :ya

Perennial herbs in my garden are:

Chives (regular & broadleaf, or 'garlic chives')
Lovage (celery flavored leaves, large plant)
Sage (regular culinary and tri-colored or purple - only the culinary is reliably hardy)
Thyme (English, culinary, lemon, woolly, creeping)
Oregano (greek, it's the best flavored - white flowers)
Lavender (lots, different varieties, some aren't hardy but I can't get enough of them!)

For annuals, I grow:

Basil - lots of it! And all different kinds!
Parsley (not really an annual, it's a biennial, but it's no good the second year except for flowers/seeds and to feed my bees)
Dill (comes up everywhere, I let it drop seed and pull what I don't want)
Sweet Marjoram
Summer and Winter Savory(Summer Savory is great with Green Beans, Winter Savory is a great herb to flavor stews)
Rosemary (technically a perennial, but it won't winter over where I live, too cold)
Calendula (this is the Herb of the Year for 2008. Good self-seeder, once you have them they'll come back for you every year if they're happy). For you chicken people, toss the flowers in for the girls to munch on - your yolks will be an even brighter gold color. Very nutritious for everyone, chooks included!)

I know there are many I'm forgetting, but these are the basics, I believe, for any good herb garden. I hope this helps, and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

My mother and I are members of the New England Unit, Herb Society of America. We have an awesome plant sale every May, this year it's on May 10 (the weather is usually pretty foul, but it doesn't matter, we are there no matter how bad it is). We hold it at Elm Bank, which is the headquarters for the Massachusetts Horticultural Society.

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I mainly grow herbs as medication.

I use Rue as an ear medication---if you have an ear infection or your ear hurts, you can cure that by getting a pan, put it on the stove and put a drop of any type of cooking oil on the pan then putting a small amount of Rue leaves on it. leave it there till the oil gets warm. Then you take the Rue out, put it in your ear, and get a cotton ball over it so it won't fall out.

I use Lemon Balm and Mint herbs as tea---I use this this to to cure tummy aches. I get a pot and fill it with water then I start to boil it with the herb leaves in it. Once its boiling, I turn off the stove then poor it in in a cup. I always add finishing touches to it like putting honey, sugar, or cinnimon to it.

those are the main herbs I grow for those reasons :D

hsm5grls

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I use Rue as an ear medication---if you have an ear infection or your ear hurts, you can cure that by getting a pan, put it on the stove and put a drop of any type of cooking oil on the pan then putting a small amount of Rue leaves on it. leave it there till the oil gets warm. Then you take the Rue out, put it in your ear, and get a cotton ball over it so it won't fall out.
Wow that is cool. I'm sure that herb will come in handy. It will deffinantly be in the herb garden.

Robinegg

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Gardening is so relaxing and it's nice to grow something you can use in the kitchen, I grow my herbs for cooking, for the critters and just for the joy of wonderful smells.
My garden grows
Lavendar
mints
catnip
oregano
thyme
sorrel
chives
rosemary(well it's in the house right now)
basil
lemon balm
borage
comfrey
garlic
tansy
bee balm
hyssop

Reaction score
I am an herb junkie.

Bee balm
lemon thyme
regular thyme
varigated sage
italian parsley
curly parsley
chives
garlic chives
lemon grass
mint
lavender
rosemary
curry plant
sorrell
salad burnette
oregano
opal basil
thai basil
genovese basil
lemon basil

I think that's all the herbs so far this year, but it's early yet! :D

countryatheart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have tried many different herbs. I consistently grow parsley, cilantro (I love the flavor in pico de gallo), dill (mostly for the swallowtail butterfly caterpillars), sweet basil (love to make pesto), oregano, and rosemary. I also grow fernleaf lavender. The traditional English and French lavenders do not like the south Texas heat and humidity!

lavacaw

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am in zone 8b here in south Texas. I keep herbs growing in pots because our rainfall amounts are either feast or famine. I have a huge tractor tire that has been growing continuously for six years now full of oregano (started from a 3" pot). A really big pot has a six year old rosemary that I use from almost weekly. I grow basil, flat leaved parsley, sage, mexican mint marigold, and I replant thyme every year. Someday I will learn how to grow it! Spearmint has its own big pot as well. I use them constantly for cooking. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Latest posts