Herbs

Texas Fluffy Feet

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the lavender info countryatheart!

I am up in Arlington and have tried to grow lavender for the past 3 or 4 years. I always pick up the little pots of it in the spring and it does fine until late summer and then it just dies out.

freshfood

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a raised bed against the south side of the house, so I have really good luck with herbs as far as wintering over and starting early in the spring, for my climate. I've only started herbs here for two summers, and the soil leaves a lot to be desired, but as I plant new things I add composted cow manure in the hole, and all my herbs are doing well.

I have lavendar, bee balm, oregano, tarragon sage, thyme, chives, and garlic. New ones this year are lemon balm, lemon bergamot(which I have no idea what to do with), chammomile, and anise. I keep my rosemary in a pot, but it sits in the herb garden all summer. Likewise the basil. Both come indoors for the winter.

My catnip and spearmint are in pots by the back door; they go on the enclosed back porch all winter, near the south windows. I don't harvest them in winter, but water them occasionally on "warm" days.

I use lavendar for drawer sachets, bee balm gets added to regular black tea for a lovely citrus flavor, the oregano, tarragon, sage, thyme, chives, and garlic are used for cooking.

I have large windows just above the herb garden, and that's where my tender herbs spend the winter.

elnabelms

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'm in central AZ, and have a 3 foot rosemary bush. They're grown as ornamentals around here, but I use it for cooking year round. I try to keep it groomed and a little smaller, but it got away from me last year. Now it's woody inside, and I'm afraid to cut it back too much. I love rosemary, but my husband doesn't, so I don't get to use it as much as I'd like in cooking. Can I make an oil out of it to use medicinally? I'd like to try that, but don't know much about it. I've made some great vinegars with rosemary and garlic, and gave them as Christmas gifts.

I also have-
peppermint, wintergreen
lemon balm
thyme
oregano
lavendar
garlic
chives
winter savory
sage
pineapple sage- it smells great, but I haven't used it to cook with yet
basil