Hey, Murphysranch!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
'Rancher :),

Is there a cemetery in White City? I am a little curious about a veteran cemetery location in Eagle Point. And, I'm not quite clear about the military installation in nearby White City.

I believe that there was a nursing home/rehab center. I could look online and the last time I was doing that there was information from my aunt. The local newspaper interviewed her a few years ago about the history of the place. She worked there during or right after WW2. It may have been where she met my Uncle Chris.

I imagine that looking out the window of a nursing home and seeing a cemetery would be discouraging. Maybe that is why there is one in Eagle Point ..? Names of wives of veterans, buried with their husbands, were placed on the back of headstones. VA says that this began in mid-20th century.

BTW, have you learned the location of Antelope Creek ;)?

Steve

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a VA rehab hospital in White City. Huge facility. I was going to volunteer there, but now I'll have to find a job since I'm going to be single soon.
https://www.southernoregon.va.gov/index.asp

Eagle Point is where the Cemetery is, right above the golf community where I'm moving.
https://www.cem.va.gov/cems/nchp/eaglepoint.asp

Many of the women buried at the VA Cem do not have anything on the back of the headstone. But Yes, I did see doubling up of burials on some headstones (two names).

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just looked up Antelope Creek. I immediately recognized the covered bridge that is in EP. Its not open to cars, but to skateboarders and walkers.

The creek that is there in EP is called Little Butte Creek, which according to wikipedia is part of Antelope Creek.

Butte Creek Mill: I found an article in Sunset Magazine decades ago, and on one of our trips to WA, we as a family stopped at this grist mill. Kids were little. It was fascinating, as is the Grist mill in Bothe State Park, CA. I had forgotten about that trip until we bought the home there in EP this past June.
buttecreekmill.com

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Rhodie Ranch , if you drive up the Antelope Creek Road to the right location ..

. yeah, I've forgotten for the moment just where ..

. then leave the roadway and go off to the right :rolleyes:, you will arrive in time where my grandparents lived after leaving Ashland. They were moving back to the country during The Depression. Mom's youngest brother was born there :).

I watched things kind of fall apart during the 50's as home and barn sat vacant. Then, it was all leveled. In my 20's, I couldn't find my way back from the road ... but, I was there without the proper generational guidance. However! I think that NOW I might be able to find it with satellite pictures. Anyway :D ... it's up there.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
School at Climax 2.jpg

Here's the school house where my mother's family went to school. You can see the little bell tower on the roof if you look closely. My mother's youngest brothers were in the last "class." (Of course, all classes were together in that one room.)

This photo was with my cousin's pictures and was given to me after she passed away. I have no idea who took the picture or when but, it was a considerably long time after I visited the school house. When I was there, perhaps a couple of times, the building was still white. It seemed like ancient history to me because I was a kid but the schoolhouse must have been used about 20 years earlier, in the 1930's.

We did visit a neighbor there, probably in the 70's. I don't think that we continued on to the school. If the school is still there, the road leading to my grandparent's home is on the opposite side of the main road and nearby. It was always closed by a gate and not a short walk to their home. As visitors years after anyone lived there, we didn't feel that we should drive in. I don't recall that it was posted but I'm not suggesting that you go off that way, @Rhodie Ranch . The last time I did that, about 1970, I became "somewhat" lost and couldn't find the meadow and ruins of the home. Couldn't even find the barn - pretty bad when you don't know how to high-tail it back to the barn!

Steve

Latest posts