HF greenhouse & hanging baskets

LVVCHAP

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
For those of you who have a greenhouse from Harbor Freight, did you make anything for hanging baskets? I don't think the frame is strong enough to support them. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I realized that I would have a similar problem supporting the weight of the massive amount of tomatoes I am going to get this year.;)

My solution was to construct a simple frame to direct the force downward , and not on the frame. I used 2" x 3" studs and and placed a 55 degree angle cut on the top to match the slope of the frame. It then becomes a simple matter to secure the studs to the channels so that they do not move. Inserting 5/8" oak dowels between the studs provides support for the plants, and, strengthens the entire structure.

You can pretty much place this anywhere, and it is a simple matter to remove and store it when you do not need it.

Jack

42010.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Every time I see that setup, Jackb, it makes my mouth water. What a great looking greenhouse. I am so jealous!! Those tomatoes looks spectacular! So, you are not going to plant those outside at all, right?

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, I will grow them in the greenhouse as early tomatoes. I have another batch for the soil garden, however, the greenhouse tomatoes are superior to the soil grown tomatoes. Also, less problems with insects, disease and weather problems.

For the greenhouse I am growing Moneymaker and Sweet Cluster, which are suited for greenhouse growing. For the soil garden I am growing: Rutgers, Bush Beefsteak and Better Boy.

soil.jpg

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Jackb, do you grow everything in your greenhouse or you transplant them outside? It is very impressive.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
HunkieDorie23 said:
Jackb, do you grow everything in your greenhouse or you transplant them outside? It is very impressive.
Almost all of my growing is in the greenhouse, where I grow hydroponically. I have a small plot that I garden in soil, but I prefer the greenhouse and hydroponic gardening. It is clean, efficient and there are a LOT less problems with insects and diseases.

Using the autopots, automatic vent openers, and timers, it pretty much runs itself. A lazy man's delight.:lol:

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What a great color those tomatoes have! SOOOOO jealous!
I thought mine were looking pretty good till I saw yours :thumbsup

LVVCHAP

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Jackb, thanks for your help with question about the hanging baskets. It has been a crazy week and I haven't had much time on the computer. I did however find some pieces of 1" square tubular steel at a local salvage yard. They were 7 ft long so I used them as is for the uprights and only had to cut two of them for the horizontals. I hope you can see them well enough from the pics. The buckets are my version of the Topsy Turvy Tomatoes

6475_100_0240.jpg

6475_100_0241.jpg

Latest posts