Hi from a Newbie

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
:welcome

I wish you better luck this year. We're starting out our first garden this year. Last year we did pot gardening on the deck and I was just so over come with how yummy the few things we had were, I just needed to expand a little bit.... now its a full blown obsession this year!!!! LOL :gig
POT GARDENING???? Did you get arrested? :gig
Sorry...I couldn't help myself!

freshfood

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yep, nothing like homegrown! We haven't bought a vegetable in three years - instead we bought a second freezer! We have an old upright in the basement, a chest freezer in the living room, and the one that's part of the refrigerator. We grow it, pick it, blanch it, freeze it, and eat it all winter.

We freeze stewed tomatoes by the gallon, beans, peas, spinach, beets, zucchini, broccoli, sprouts, corn, pumpkin, cauliflower, and peppers (sweet and hot). We make pickles and pickled hot peppers. Every so often we thaw a gallon of tomatoes and make sauce, refreeze the finished sauce - a gallon of tomaotes makes 6-8 quarts of sauce, depending on how much stuff we put in! Yum, yum.

I also have an herb garden, and I keep some herbs indoors all winter long.

See what you have to look forward to? You didn't want a lawn, anyway. The dogs can go over to the neighbors' yards to poop, right?!! (I have 5 dogs, but we have 60 acres)

Only things we run out of are potatoes and onions, gotta figure out better storage plans, and salad greens which don't keep. This fall we want to build a cold frame so we can have lettuce and fresh spinach almost all year. One thing leads to another!

Welcome, and boy, can we help y'all keep busy!