Hi From Devon UK

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Welcome from Holland!

From what I've seen watching Countryfile and the history farms on the BBC Devon is a very pretty place! I'd love to see what beans and tomatoes you grow. I've ordered some APS after recommadation from @aftermidnight for next year's season.

Poppa T

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This is an aerial shot of our place, nestled in the heart of Devon. It is the whole triangle about 2.5 acres in total. This was taken about 6 years ago and the whole place is a lot different now with easy maintenance raised beds ( we ain't getting any younger y'know ), 1 commercial blueberry tunnel - 2 more in the process of being built - and so on. Also I have been developing heritage fruit orchards in a bit to keep some of the finest apples, pears, plums 'alive'. So many truly great varieties are being grubbed up and lost forever. The endless list of bland, one-dimensional apples being produced is scary.

Of course one of the bi-products of such variety is a good stock of proper cider that I brew myself. Another is good seasonal forage for our wonderful bees, surplus windfalls, not good enough for cider of juice making go to the pigs....again, good old rare breed heritage Oxford Sandy and Black. The one in my avatar was one of ours, she was called Mo, a real personable old girl and great mother.

image.jpeg

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:welcome from South Carolina USA :frow What a lovely property you have!!

Poppa T

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Are you solar powered ?

Yes we are. In the photo you can see the panels on the main house. We currently have a 14 panel array on the garage roof (the building next to the yellow van) as well, now. The two lots pay for all of our annual electricity usage via the Feed in Tarriff.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks like you have a stream of some type across the triangle. Is that a permanent stream or a wet-weather stream? There is something about permanent running water I just like.

Poppa T

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Looks like you have a stream of some type across the triangle. Is that a permanent stream or a wet-weather stream? There is something about permanent running water I just like.

It is permanent but not fast flowing. It is sufficient that the lambs and calves have water all year but it is also subject to seasonal overflow when a couple of weeks of heavy rain will fill it right up.