Hi From Florida, BYC member but new to this Forum

The French Gardner

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a BYC member...The French Hen. I am new there too. I am from Tarpon Springs, FL Zone 9

I have tried on numerous occasions to grow things but I am very, very unsuccessful at it, but, I keep trying....I never say die !!!!

I think it's just lack of knowledge that is my un-doing...like I plant things at the wrong time of year...didn't prepare the garden properly you know, stuff like that but I think I am getting a handle on it but I have a long way to go, hence the need for me to join a board like this where I can find useful information and a support groups shoulder to cry on when my tomatoes don't grow....

This time around I am using raised garden beds made of wood, non treated wood at that, see...I'm learning...can't be treated when vegetables are concerened

I have been told I need to start planting here in Florida mid August for the fall season.

So to prepare for that I have tilled my garden area and made my garden beds and set them in and leveled them. I mixed in a couple inches of new soil along with compost/manure then topped that with 6 to 8 inches of new soil. Is that all I need to do to get my garden beds ready for planting ? Do I need to put in bone meal or anything else ?

See I already have questions.

Thanks in advance for all your help ,

Pat - The French Gardner

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Welcome to our gardens. You'll find lots of fellow BYC members here.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome! Welcome! Sounds like you are off to a great start! I would say "give it a try!" With your wonderful weather, I bet you will have much success! Good luck!

ecopepper

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
WELCOME to teg!!! I am in Orlando and have a site on byc too. I have done the trial and error thing. But I would say plant sugarsnap on trellis, Carrots, broccilli, cabbage, lettuce and onions starts in sept. and harvest in spring. Usually in Feb. but this year because of the cold it was more like late March for the harvest. Always visit your garden daily if you can. Take some poles and screen in the garden. Make sure it is full sun. Use compost!! Neem seems to work for me with the tomatoes. I can't grow much squash type things. Slugs and snails are a pain in the ###. So treat them with pellets that don't get washed away. Green beans do really well here too. My corn keeps on falling over cuz of the storms. And the squirrels and chickens love them too<reason for netting>. A raised bed makes all the work so easy some days you wish you had something to do and pull your tomatoes that aren't protected before they are really red. The birds love them too. Plant alot of plants incase a few die. Okay sorry to ramble. Message me if you wanna talk gardening in Fla. It is crazy!!

So Sorry So Long

ecopepper

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Opps P.S. keep a garden diary for the next year. Types how well they did and when started. Everything!

Latest posts