Hi from New Hampshire!

Smithyard Farm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi everyone! :frow just joined.

I live in NH - Zone 5 but want to plant like I am in zone 7 :hide (wishful thinking...??) and thought perhaps I may need a little help. I have a small garden for hubby a I; 6-12 chickens (depending on time of year) 2 turkeys, a dog and 2 cats. I always thought of myself s a pretty good gardener but lately have seen there is so much more out there than just cucumbers and tomatoes.

Looking forward to seeing what you all grow (and hoping for a few pointers)

Prepare to be stalked! :D

Jen
Pembroke NH

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
:welcome
i'm just south of you in Rochester! gardening since i was little but still learning things i never really thought about besides putting a seed/plant into the ground and giving it occasional water.

just remember to hold onto your password so in case they change the layout in the next few weeks like they planned you won't have to jump though too many hoops to get back in here. i've also cleaned out my cookies during scans and had to salvage my password on occasion when i forget about that. :rolleyes:

you'll find a lot of people on here with the same situation as you: have chickens (or wanting them), some livestock, pets, family, and wanting to grow more than just those plan jane items we usually see in everyone else's gardens.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi, Jen. :frow Glad you joined us. :weee

I'm in that border beteeen zones 6 and 7 so I might not be much help to you but there are plenty on here that are in your zone. And we are all ready to learn from you too.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi Jen, welcome to TEG from Montana! You'll learn lots here :) and we love pictures, so after you've made a minimum of 10 posts, upload some images of your garden for us!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
How-Dee! Good to have you join TEG's fantastic message board, Jen. I suspect we will have a lot in common. I absolutely L O V E D the zone 7 winter we had in 2011-2012 . . . . except for the early blooming of all the fruit trees and the later frost that put paid to any hopes of orchard fruits for me that year. Nor did I appreciate the severe drought that held sway through the spring and summer of 2012. I lost so many perennials that summer.

I also am one who loves to "push the envelope" for my growing zone. If I could manage a zone 7 micro-climate, I would be in a gardening's seventh heaven. As it is, I am not afraid to try a zone 6 plant (in the right place) if I can. I consider myself in a warmer zone 4 and I purchase all the must haves in that range, but some of the wanna haves fall into zone 5 hardiness and the occasional experimental zone 6 specimen. I do have a sun room for the tenders I shouldn't have. It may be packed wall to wall, but they survive the winter in there.

Once again, welcome!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Regarding passwords, I put my non-security issue passwords on Word. That way even if the site goes bonkers, you can get to the passwords to forums. Glad you joined us, Jen.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Jen. I'm no where near your zone. Sunny California here with mild winters. I'm lucky I can grow some things year round. But you will get plenty of good advise from everyone.

Mary

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are many old threads that relate to extending the season with redneck greenhouses, cloches and the like. Try a search. There are many really knowledgeable gardeners that participate in this forum!

Latest posts