Hi I am a newbie....Is anyone in Nevada??? Tips Wanted!!!

Timna

Sprout
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this forum and to gardening. Is anyone from Nevada? I would really love some tips on what vegetables and fruits to plant in a ground garden and what flowers do best in this area.

Thanks
:D

Timna

Sprout
Reaction score
Hello Wifezilla,
Yes my area is dry and windy. The ground here in my area is a bit on the sandy side. I have a sprinkler system set up for my garden. If you could help I would be greatly greatly appreciative.

:D

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Timna, welcome to TEG. I am not from your area but maybe I can help a little. Do you know what garden zone you are in?
Have you had your soil tested?
Have you added any amendments to the garden? Like compost, or manure.
Do you have any idea of what you would like to grow, most vegetables will grow in Nevada it is just picking the right variety for your zone and soil type. Good luck and keep asking questions, there are lots of folks here with gardening experience to share!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Even though Colorado and Nevada are thought of as hot areas, people don't often realize we have very cool nights. With that in mind I select SHORT SEASON crops.

When it comes to things like tomatoes, plum, cherry and grape sized tomatoes will do better than big ones. The big ones can split or not even have time to totally ripen.

Instead of trying to grow big watermelons, mini melons or french varieties of melon do better. Last year I grew "Collective Farm Woman Melon". They get to be the size of a softball and taste delicious. Since that variety comes from the Ukraine, it grows quickly and doesn't seem to mind cool nights. This year I am also trying Rich Sweetness 132 melons and Golden Sweet melons.
http://rareseeds.com/rich-sweetness-132-melon.html
http://rareseeds.com/vegetables-d-o/melons/melons-asian/golden-sweet-melon.html

Do you have any kind of wind break? I bet you could use frost blankets to protect seedlings as well as let you start a couple of weeks earlier.

Timna

Sprout
Reaction score
Thanks so much Wifezilla!!! That is really helpful! I will definitely use your tips.

To Collector, I do not know what my growing zone is and I have not had my soil tested. I do not have amendments in my soil as of yet since I do not know what would be the best to add to the soil here. I would like to grow; corn, peppers, melons, tomatoes, carrots, and whatever else will grow good in my area. This year I want to start off slow and have a small garden.

Thanks again for all of your help everyone!!:)

Timna

Sprout
Reaction score
I googled the growing zone in my area and I got a 6-7. I have no clue what that means though lol. :D

Latest posts