Hi! I'm pretty new to this.

insectsftw

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi there!

My husband and I recently purchased a new home, and the yard came complete with a nifty little garden area that has, as far as we can glean from the neighbors, been unused for years. The soil in it is fabulous . . . it's clear someone in the past knew what they were doing. I've even found the remains of what once must have been lovely compost heaps, now forgotten. I have chickens, geese, and guinea pigs, so I anticipate getting those compost heaps going again pretty soon.

My former gardening attempts have just consisted of me having a bit of fun, nothing serious, a bit of randomly pushing seeds in, watering, and seeing if they grew. That was, surprisingly, spectacularly successful, but I know in reality a garden takes more work than that, and I was lucky. Now that we own our first home and have a sense of permanence, I feel safe in committing much more to having a successful garden, and I can't wait to get shoulder deep in compost and soil. My husband is equally enthusiastic. He's always loved landscaping and plants. In my case, I really can't muster up interest unless the plant is producing food or useful herbs, but when it does I am hooked.

So in summary, I'm here to learn, learn, learn, because I'm all but starting at zero as far as knowing what the heck I'm doing. Thank goodness for book stores and neat sites such as these!

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Your public library is also a terrific source for books on gardening. I could spend hours and hours at the one near my house.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome! Welcome! Sounds like you have the perfect setup!! Do you know what zone you are in? How soon will you be able to plant? Good luck! 31 days till spring!

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Welcome! You've come to the right place for great advice! You & your husband are the opposite of me & my DH. He would prefer I pull out all of my lovely flowers & replace them with something we can eat. :D

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Welcome! Its great to have you here. Weren't you lucky to have been left such nice soil already.
It probably won't take much to get those compost heaps going again if they have been sitting there a while.
Have fun with it and glad you joined us.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:tools :tools :tools :tools :tools :tools :tools :tools :tools :tools :tools :tools :tools :tools :tools

:frow Hi there insectsftw :frow

:welcome

:rose Hattie :rose

Latest posts