Hi y’all from Central Louisiana

LAYAM

Leafing Out
Reaction score
My name is Yvonne

I grew up in West Berlin Germany where my dad kept a small garden … I remember laying out on a blanket under the apple tree, watching lil bumble bees doing their thang …

I remember my mom and dad picking fresh veggies and fruit, making jams and jellies and juice and cooking some of the best stews … I’ve inherited their ambition but not their know-how 🤷🏻‍♀️ seriously!

I am so bad at this taking care of plants thing, I even kill plastic houseplants 🤦🏻‍♀️😭 (that’s a story for another day 😩)

We keep Chickens and Ducks and Geese on a small acreage on a former Pine tree plantation in Central Louisiana … I’m here to learn all about Gardening from anyone willing to except the challenge of teaching the likes of me 😁

Hubby and I love juicing and canning, cooking, baking and smoking …

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi, welcome from, south of New Orleans. Glad you found us.

My first suggestion is to find out what kind of soil you have. Pine trees often mean poor soil, you may need to do a lot of soil amendments. Maybe chat with you parish extension office on how to get a soils analysis. Some gardening/feed stores have kits you can send in.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
:welcome
Thanks for putting up your (general) location and, especially your growing zone!
Try growing okra. It's like a weed and very hard to mess up.
Here is another TEG member you might like to know.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Howdy neighbor! I’m next door in east Texas. I love gardening and will be glad to help. It’s so nice to grow your own vegetables. I suggest starting with okra, tomatoes, squash and green beans. Those are great beginner plants. You can even purchase tomato and squash plants.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG, from up here in the Deep Freeze!

Something you might want to consider growing is chayote squash (I think they are called "mirliton" in Louisiana). A very productive climbing squash, and perennial wherever the ground doesn't freeze. A really fun vegetable to grow, if you find that you like them. Yardlong beans do well in that climate also, they love heat.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My name is Yvonne

I grew up in West Berlin Germany where my dad kept a small garden … I remember laying out on a blanket under the apple tree, watching lil bumble bees doing their thang …

I remember my mom and dad picking fresh veggies and fruit, making jams and jellies and juice and cooking some of the best stews … I’ve inherited their ambition but not their know-how 🤷🏻‍♀️ seriously!

I am so bad at this taking care of plants thing, I even kill plastic houseplants 🤦🏻‍♀️😭 (that’s a story for another day 😩)

We keep Chickens and Ducks and Geese on a small acreage on a former Pine tree plantation in Central Louisiana … I’m here to learn all about Gardening from anyone willing to except the challenge of teaching the likes of me 😁

Hubby and I love juicing and canning, cooking, baking and smoking …
Hello :)

Now I really feel at home :welcome from the worst ever gardener on this planet and in history. I'm so pleased you have joined us.

Yeah I'm not alone anymore :ya:weee:D

Latest posts