Hi!

GypsyG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
What kind of veggies do you grow?

Mary
TOMATOES!!! Lots and lots of tomatoes.
I'm also fascinated by the giant variety of winter squash and sample a few new ones in addition to my perennial favorites every year. Several varieties of beans. Potatoes, sweet potatoes, turnips, carrots, parsnips, beets (mostly yellow ones), rutabagas...lots of okra, lemon cucumbers, and gherkins... Lots of collards, chard, kale, and Asian greens... I'm terrible with broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower, but try every year anyway - they usually end up being a catch crop for pests. I plant a wide variety of peppers and a few eggplants. I never have much luck with watermelon but I keep trying, my honeydew and cantaloupe usually turn out good... Radishes, peas... A little bit of everything really.

GypsyG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
What kind of veggies do you grow?

Mary
I'm still working of figuring out the best varieties for Missouri. Lots of my favorites that I grew in Northern California don't do so well here.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm still working of figuring out the best varieties for Missouri. Lots of my favorites that I grew in Northern California don't do so well here.

There is a lot of trial and error in that. I used to liven Northwest Arkansas, a lot of the varieties I see on here just didn't do well for me. Now down here I'm starting the learning curve all over again. One thing that I found that helped at least start me was the Extension Service had a pamphlet in Arkansas and the one here has varieties that are supposed to do well locally or at least in state. The recommended varieties did not always produce that well for me but it was better than a shot in the dark.

GypsyG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
There is a lot of trial and error in that. I used to liven Northwest Arkansas, a lot of the varieties I see on here just didn't do well for me. Now down here I'm starting the learning curve all over again. One thing that I found that helped at least start me was the Extension Service had a pamphlet in Arkansas and the one here has varieties that are supposed to do well locally or at least in state. The recommended varieties did not always produce that well for me but it was better than a shot in the dark.
Unfortunately they list mostly commercial varieties and I prefer open polinated heirlooms. Fortunately I live near Baker Creek Heirloom Seed company now, and they have been very helpful in suggesting alternatives that perform well locally.

GypsyG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm in town... I'm too good at what I do, they would be able to smell it from blocks away.
I have eight laying hens, a few tameish feral cats, and a jack russel that I highly suspect might really be some kind of alien sent here to study humanity... I'm soon to add quail, utility pigeons and a pair of ducks.

GypsyG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We raise lambs and chickens. I buy feeder pigs and feed them out for sale.
I wish I could have sheep, pigs, and goats. I'm keeping an eye out for a place outside the city limits.

Latest posts