Hidden run - How tall fence?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I want to put up a wire fence at the back of my flower beds to create a run for my 5 chickens. The run will be only about 3 feet wide and will be bordered by our 6' tall fence in the back. Next to the back fence I have bamboo planted. There is still plenty of space especially about 2' from the ground.

I want a 3' tall wire fence that will hopefully be camoflaughed by the plants in front and not be too visible. My husband says that's too short, that it needs to be 4' tall. I'm thinking that the plants in front will deter the chickens from jumping or flying over. It is a fairly tight space, especially a couple feet above the ground.

I don't want to make a mistake because of cost and I'll never hear the end of it!

Your thoughts?

Mary

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have 4 foot fencing that my girls rarely fly over.I think 3 would be ok,but if dh wants 4 get 4...but they can still make it over that.I have a 6ft chainlink,and they have yet to fly over that.My hens run/fly when startled.I have noticed that they try to look for a way under the fence rather than over,but that's just my hens.

freemotion

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My chickens would hop right over a 3' fence, and some still go over the 4' fence. Yours will be so narrow......can you put another bit of fence on top as a cover? Then you can make it low and they won't get out. I cover my brooder pen to keep hawks out and nimble chicks in. I use deer netting, since it is a larger area.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you for your responses. Mattemma... my chickens don't fly anymore. They used to fly about 3-4' high when they were still pullets but now I think they have gotten used to their surroundings and feel safe. I do agree with you that they are able to do it if they choose to.

freemotion... I really don't want to cover the top. I want to be able to have access incase I need to get their to clean up or tie the bamboo back.

I will probably go to 4' since I guess since I rather be safer than sorry.

Mary

Reaction score
I believe it depends on the chickens. I have some that would fly over a 10 foot fence just to show me they can get out and lay her egg in the woods, where I can't find it.

But others lived on the honor system. Before I completely enclosed my run I had a 4 foot fence and build a 3 foot roost near the fence, they would sit on the roost but never crossed the fence.

Latest posts