Hiring Friends Brother

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I started redoing my bedroom at county house, a friend begged me to use her brother. She said he really needed the money. He was working part time and would do my house on his days off. 2 weeks ago he hit me with hard luck story, he sent landlord check for Jan rent, but didnt have money to cover check. He asked if I could pay him in full. Friends brother begining New Year I paid him. Because of work I had not been to house in over 2 weeks. When I last talked to painter I told him I would be up Sat night, he told me everything was done, but putting new moulding around closet. Yesterday new light came. I went up to house after work. Was shocked room looked same as 2 weekes ago painter lied to me. First I wanted to fire him, now I think I am going to give him chance and wait till Sat night. Do not want to lose a friend over this.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh wow. That's terrible. I've heard so many stories like that, I don't know what I'd do if I had to have some work down that I couldn't be there to bother the contractor half to death.
Really sorry. Hope it works out in the end.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hopefully he will get to work and get it done by the time he assumes you will be there. But it sounds to me like he is an accomplished liar if he told you he was done painting and now putting on the molding. If he doesn't get the work done, make sure you get the key back before you fire him. Or better yet, just tell him you will let him know when you will need him again. You don't want an angry liar with a grudge.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lucky i agree about accomplished liar. Because of my friendship will tell him I will call you next time i need work. Cane I go thogh this all the time, very hard when your not there to over see the work.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's terrible. Given what your dealing with that's probably why he was desperate for work.

I'd be sure to explain the situation and even a few pictures to your friend to show that your not being unreasonable and exactly what is going on.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have no sympathy or patience for dishonest people. I hope you have a written agreement with him, and agree, your friend should know how things are going. Hope it all works out and your room is wonderful!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a potential problem with hiring a friend or relatives friend or relative. There are just no guarantees on what you will get and you put a friendship at risk. I've got some relatives I'd recommend to anyone. I have some I don't want helping me.

How good of a friend is this friend? Can you take her over to show her the place? If she is a good friend she might chew her brother out and get him to finish. She might make excuses or stick up for her brother. Your friendship may be over. I don't know your relationship with this friend or how you can best manage the situation.

You might consider changing the locks at an appropriate point. Is anything valuable in there missing?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I learned a long time ago that there is usually a reason people get hard up for money and can't find a job. #1 they really don't want to work #2 they sponge off everyone they can #3 when they do get money, they don't pay the bills first #4 NEVER pay until the job is done.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I suspect your friend already knows her brothers character, but had some unreasonable hope that this time he would do the right thing.
Like Bay said, don't pay until the work is done.
And change your locks.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow! I'd go for that #4 ...

Garbanzo likes to beg at the table. Really, it doesn't bother me at all ;). She's a short terrier and I can look right over the top of her. If she gets in my face, she will leaving.

I've whipped out a contract in 30 seconds off the internet. The guy was essentially standing out in my yard. "Sure, I'll go for the deal - here, sign this."

Steve
who once advised father, do not hire friends. fat lot of good that did ...

Latest posts