Hiring Friends Brother

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's hard to fire someone that you already paid. Many years ago I hired a kitchen company to redo our kitchen. One of the workers was a former colleague that I taught with in school. His work was questionable.I found him using my phone when I got home from work-this was a time when you paid for every long distance call. And I could tell it was a personal call. There was a great carpenter along with this guy I knew. They left the man I knew alone on some days. A few years later some of the cabinets were beginning to fall off the wall. The good carpenter came to repair them and we had a little discussion about the other guy. The final straw came when I got home from work and there was some sawdust left on the new counter top. They were usually scrupulously clean about cleaning up after themselves. Of course there was a reason. He had dinged my brand new counter top and was hiding it until he left. The company tried to say the plumber did it. I was there when the plumber worked and there was no damage. Fortunately they were able to patch the formica and it has held up fine for all of these many years. We told them Crosby was not allowed back in our house. It was hard to do as he had quit teaching to do carpentry and I knew him pretty well. I think they may have fired him.
At this point you have to try the nice route when you confront him or he may not do the work you paid for. As for the kitchen company, they kept asking for the last payment at the end of each day, and I kept putting them off. I was young and too polite at the time but I finally said, "Not until the last nail is in place."
A guy we have used for all of our work since is a weekender who does fabulous work. He and my husband have become friends over the years. He always says when he hires helpers he does not pay them until the job is done. Otherwise they don't come to work for a few days, as they drink or drug all the money away.
People who cheat others alway have a justification for their actions.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I called my friend this morning and told her what was going on. She wasn't suprized, he is her brother, she wants to believe he will change. I have a back up guy in the wings if he doesn't finish by Sun. I don't have to change lock just have to change code to alarm much easier.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
My husband is a licensed painting contractor for over 30 years. He never asks for a down payment. If its a huge job, over $10K, then he'll ask for a progress payment. Otherwise, it all comes at the end of the job and a satisfied customer.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat she loves him and hopes he will change. I am glad she not blind to how he is and try to defend him.
At the least I think she should have warned you. I'm sure that if she had explained his character that you would have given him a chance. Just not paid him till the end or at least in progress payment. You probably would have kept a closer eye on him. Maybe kept calling to see what work he had done. Daily bugging might have pushed him alittle.

Mary

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm sure she does but, she should have warned you to buy now pay later. I would still call him. People like that WANT to do the right think, I think, just can't get straight enough follow through.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Let me make sure I get this right...the brother is the painter? He was paid up front, told you the job was done already, but it wasn't?

This is a very common scenario anymore and more often than not said loser is a druggie...needs money for drugs today, not rent. (Or spent rent money on drugs.)

My brother used to be a licensed contractor. He can literally do anything and does a wonderful job and takes pride in his work being well done (perfectionist), when he shows up. However, my brother is also a pill-head, lost his business due to a felony drug bust, still works on the side, usually hires his crack head friends to help. Despite his abilities, I won't recommend him to anyone because he can't be trusted. My BIL has repeatedly hired him to do work and the job was strung out forever or he didn't return to finish some of it. If there is bigger money to be made, my brother is usually more motivated. BIL also learned the hard way never to pay upfront.

It makes me so sad because my brother really could have made something of himself and had a very good living...

NyBoy, you are just such a nice guy! It is really a shame that people take advantage of your kindness. :( My
BIL is a really nice guy too.

(Me, not so much. LOL)

Hope you can get this resolved and keep your friend! Contracts outlining expectations and only hiring licensed/insured individuals can save a lot of this trouble.

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
IF this is a friend, invite her to visit. Show her room, stand back, don't say a word, wait for her reaction. IF she starts making excuses, she is not a FRIEND. You may know her name but you now know WHO she is. IF you still consider her a friend, eat the money, go on. Her brother is all you think (maybe more) and she supports him. Your decision on how valuable of a friend she is. IF she is friend, she re-imburses you and goes after her brother.

I think you already know answer. She would have bailed out her brother, just found patsie to do it.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well he made things right, yesterday, he showed up at 9am and lefted at 9pm. Don't think it would have happen if I wasn't there, he kept saying I will came back tomorrow, I kept saying no i took the day off your going to do it all today. Shame he did do good job and now I want to paint my kitchen.