Hollyhocks

fletamae

Leafing Out
Reaction score
101_0149.jpg
Does anyone grow Hollyhocks? I have a hard time geting the seed to sprout. :(Any help from anyone?
The photo are the ones I have now

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have grown hollyhocks from seed. The first time, I intentionally planted them. After that, they just came up by themselves. The first were 5 years ago, maybe. I am still getting a couple of plants. Yours are beautiful. Maybe the double ones don't have viable seed? Just a thought. Mine are single.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are gorgeous!! My yard has been taken iver by hollyhocks. I have to dig en out but the reseed EVERYWHERE! View attachment 59413View attachment 59414

we had that trouble for some time too many years ago and then some rust came along and took many of them out.

i can't believe i don't have any hollyhocks pictures uploaded, but now i see why as many of them are from when we had more of them around and i had my first digital camera (2008 - 2011). so i've just tagged a few to edit and upload for the next time around. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
from July 2008

the space behind the horseshoe garden was turned into flower gardens for a while but those eventually had to be changed due to needing a drainage trench going through it. since then it has gone through several permutations of gardening and now it is being mowed but i sure would like to turn it back into a garden of some kind as soon as i can get enough $ to put fences up to keep the deer out.

but in this picture you can see we had plenty of them back there but also we had them showing up in random locations due to birds and other animals moving the seeds around. we even had some growing up here near the house and right outside my patio door and you can see them in the foreground as the bright pinks.

100_1347_NE_Hollyhocks_thm.jpg

and July 2011

this space was behind the fenced gardens. eventually i turned it into a strawberry patch until the deer found them and we ended up covering the space to keep the weeds down.

100_5666_Hollyhocks_thm.jpg

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
from July 2008

the space behind the horseshoe garden was turned into flower gardens for a while but those eventually had to be changed due to needing a drainage trench going through it. since then it has gone through several permutations of gardening and now it is being mowed but i sure would like to turn it back into a garden of some kind as soon as i can get enough $ to put fences up to keep the deer out.

but in this picture you can see we had plenty of them back there but also we had them showing up in random locations due to birds and other animals moving the seeds around. we even had some growing up here near the house and right outside my patio door and you can see them in the foreground as the bright pinks.

100_1347_NE_Hollyhocks_thm.jpg

and July 2011

this space was behind the fenced gardens. eventually i turned it into a strawberry patch until the deer found them and we ended up covering the space to keep the weeds down.

100_5666_Hollyhocks_thm.jpg
Just gorgeous!!

Latest posts