Holy Moly what a root on those chicories.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You remember my "recession-proof coffee" thread don't you, O?

I just do a lot of slicing and dicing!

It looked like I'd make a mess with the food processor if it was used on the fresh roots but, as Hoodat suggests, it would probably work fine once the roots are roasted to a crisp.

Hoodat, there are Cajuns in eastern OK - were they your neighbors? PA at my wife's doctor's office is a Cajun from that part of the world.

BTW - my daughter finally brought my coffee grinder back. It hasn't been used on dandelion roots yet but I'd still need to do the dicing first. However! I've completely gone over to whole bean coffee again :)!

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
the Cajuns in Oklahoma are farther South than I was. I was just across the river from Fort Smith Arkansas.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
You remember my "recession-proof coffee" thread don't you, O?

Steve
That was a fun thread to read thru. My tastes seem to run somewhat parallel to yours Steve, I like the Stash licorice spice tea, and chamomile/mint combos, and plain mint, as well as spicy teas, and I like coffee (with a generous splash of half-n-half ) I prefer the real thing but it makes me a bit twitchy and not so nice to be around, so I have to drink decaf mostly. However, I tried chicory as a coffee substitute and found it to taste something like a mouthful of dirt. I couldn't drink it, and I am usually stubborn enough to stick it out for awhile, especially when the stuff cost as much as it did. But I couldn't do it... maybe it was a crummy brand ... I don't know. The can is still in the cupboard, I just need to find a use for it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
. . . I tried chicory as a coffee substitute and found it to taste something like a mouthful of dirt. I couldn't drink it, and I am usually stubborn enough to stick it out for awhile, especially when the stuff cost as much as it did. But I couldn't do it... maybe it was a crummy brand ... I don't know. The can is still in the cupboard, I just need to find a use for it.
See, there is the problem, Thistle'. It shouldn't have cost you anything 'cept the trouble of growing it! Dandelions don't even require that effort!

It may be on that thread: I had been advised to cut back on the caffeine by the MD. Since 2 mugs a day has been routine for years, it looked like the only way to cut back - was to switch to decaf!

I had real trouble finding a decent decaf. What I finally came up with was an expensive variety that I grind myself. And, I still don't want that at 100%. What I do is go for a 2:1 mix.

Maybe I don't understand the better Swiss water treatment. It seems to me that washing the beans with water is how we make coffee! So, we are allowed used grounds to make our morning cup! How can we expect something worth drinking??

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, so true, thats about what decaf tastes like, recycled grounds...:/ and I have a whole lawn full of dandelions.. :) .If I wasn't feeling so overwhelmed with projects already it would be a fine enterprise to play with.
That one will have to go on the secondary project list :rolleyes:

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
oh yes, I remember the thread... I still have not gotten around to tryin any of it though..

Latest posts