Home Made Buttermilk

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Here it is Thanksgiving and little did I know all the local grocery stores are out of buttermilk. While noodling the question of where is the buttermilk (wife has a serious homemade cake doughnut addiction and serious recipe for that matter) I hit this video and found it amazingly simple. Now I will begin to learn how many folks already knew this and make it at home all the time. I might not need to keep a sourghdough starter around but I can sure see keeping a buttermilk starter.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I ordered some of that New England cheese company product in the video. This will be kinda fun. Plus it has some potential, either to aggravate my wife that there is something alive growing on her countertop or I will get to sample some next level doughnuts! Maybe both if I am lucky!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
whenever a recipe calls for buttermilk here we just use vingar and milk. i'm not sure i would notice the difference, but a good cake doughnut recipe is always worth a try - those are my favorites too, sour cream cake donuts. mmm...

i think i need to decompress from TG for a day or two first. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I decided that I must have become lactose intolerant, I stopped buying and drinking buttermilk.

I miss it! For all sorts of things ...

Since this intolerance in humans is a matter of degree, I think that cultured dairy products should be okay for me. So, I have continued to use dairy that way and milk for cooking. I haven't done any research on this but the bacteria must use up the lactose ... at least, somewhat.

Steve
used to make a simple cheese for the critters, couldn't take the risk of eating it himself

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' IF you have a herd of “old genetics” Jerseys or Guernseys, you may be alright. It’s a protein in Holstein milk that most are allergic to. Problem is that some Jersey cows have had Holstein genetics added to their parentage-the old fashioned way.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Buttermilk aquired! Donut production is up!

Donuts Again.jpg

Latest posts