Home Remedy?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would rather use a culinary herb but . . .

I guess this is a culinary herb, someplaces:
broad-leaf+thyme.jpg

This is one of our broadleaf thymes when it was small. At least, that is what I have called it. Sometimes, It is called a Mexican mint altho', the way it smells, it would probably be too much flavor for me!

To appreciate in food, that is. I'm wondering about making some tea for my sore throat and koff! Oooh . . .

Any experience with the Plectranthus amboinicus (link)?

It is a very nice house plant. Few demands, including light requirements . . .

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sore throat. Dr Oz says gargle with salt and sage. Or turmeric and hot sauce. Or.....can't remember the other one. I don't know why you couldn't use all of them together. But then the gag reflex might get in the way of the gargle and cough.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I don't know how much it helped but it is flavored like a Vick's cough drop!

I'm something of a "believer" in oil of wintergreen. It can take some of the discomfort out the body and it is about the only anti-inflammatory I can get away with using. I imagine I'll be rubbing on some liniment hoping the body doesn't freeze up like concrete overnight.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sore throat and cough.....my ex-FIL (my ex in-laws were wonderful people-unlike their wacko son) ............anyway he said his mother mixed kerosene and sugar for coughs. He said it worked......it was so terrible, they were afraid to cough again! Or, he said, if they did have to cough again, they ran out behind the barn! LOL LOL

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor and in no way, shape or form, am I recommending this remedy. :lol:

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sore throat and cough.....my ex-FIL (my ex in-laws were wonderful people-unlike their wacko son) ............anyway he said his mother mixed kerosene and sugar for coughs. He said it worked......it was so terrible, they were afraid to cough again! Or, he said, if they did have to cough again, they ran out behind the barn! LOL LOL

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor and in no way, shape or form, am I recommending this remedy. :lol:
:yuckyuck Lots of those old remedies where kill or cure!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
A spoonful of apple cider vinegar and a spoonful of honey in a short glass of water, gargled and swallowed (or not, up to you) works for this family. It's what grandma used on mom, and mom used on us. :)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
As long as we are talking about home remedies, I have found this effective when I feel myself coming down with a cold or bug: (It has to be prepared before you get sick)
Cut up an onion and a couple cloves of garlic and put them in a jar. Cover with honey. Refrigerate or not. Probably better to refrigerate if you are going to keep it indefinitely. Take a spoonful of this several times a day.

Edited to say it doesn't taste as bad as you would think, lol.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have been a family always with quite a lot of onions on the menu. That in itself probably lowers the chances of catching anything infectious :).

Mom used to subscribe to the ACV gargle. I was already using Listerine on a regular basis (see onions, above) so, have just been more conscientious about using & gargling that. So far, I am in better shape than DW.

Today, it is obvious that an inner ear is involved. No decongestant in the house from the last time this happened so made a trip to the pharmacy. On the way, picked up a lot of broccoli and asparagus from the produce aisle. That big bowl of broccoli and carrots is how I'd like to remedy the situation.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is an idea that helped me get thru yesterday:

Egg drop & Ginger soup

The ginger made me feel lots better. Really!

Last night, I had trouble with waking up 45 minutes after I fell asleep and resorted to pain meds but, you know, I bet if I'd just had a cup of that soup in the fridge and popped it in the microwave for half a minute, I might not have had to do that!

Steve