Homegrown Herbal Tea

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
17614395-82DD-4D35-B803-280378D34348.jpeg
The 4 over-wintered anise hyssop right now look about the same as these little guys. Soon 🤞, there should be plenty of this herb for growing season harvest and to freeze for the off-season :). (They were moved to the hoop house about a week ago and they are out on a cool, cloudy afternoon with some snapdragons and pansies (there on a lower backstep). I'm thinking that the cloudy afternoon is misleading me and it is probably past time to put them back, under cover.

Steve, with a strong, healthy lemon verbena ready to be venturing out, as well

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes, I have two varieties of anise hyssop, too. They are both great as cut flowers and tea ingredients. The small-leaved linden trees are also on duty now, and I look forward to their flowers very much.

6424_0.jpg

The container-based herb patch is going well; most herbs are growing actively.
6076.jpg

6393_0.jpg

It's a perfect time to harvest the tips for fresh herbal tea and encourage more side shoots. Today's combination: raspberry leaves, different mints, spruce tips, and lemon balm. It's good for a pot of tea.
6392_0.jpg

6390_0.jpg

The taste is good!
6391_0.jpg

I also picked some just blossom dandelion flowers to make chilled tea (with honey).
6430.jpg

6442.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Two types of anise hyssop? I immediately checked Richters Herbs, a good source for herbs, and ... no, they don't have but one. I have forgotten what it was the other day that I came across. Hadn't even thought that some plant breeder would have been doing selections and whatever else they might be up to, attempting to introduce genetic variables into another species.

I came across a healthy Nepeta cateria beside the Big Veggie Garden, on Wednesday. Can't get away from that name — "...pet the cat." So, cats spread these plants all across North America after carrying seed on their ocean voyage?

What was the human interest in catnip? I would not have given it another try if it hadn't occurred to me that the flavor might change through drying. It does! And, for the better, IMO.

What might be added to catnip? A more important question, for this human, what change might I expect from lemon balm if it is dried? That herb is another that I found not really to my liking -- fresh. Soon I will have a chance to dry and try :).

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
You make me realize how badly I need a peaceful place. Serene, lovely and most of all, finished with no major work to be done. :love Instead I look about and see all the work that must be done.:lol:
The tiny back porch is nice until noon when the sun hits it. The front porch is a hang out for flies, how I hate those things! I’m sitting in my recliner looking out the window at the beauty of the land, my sheep and dogs. Ahhhh….. peaceful and beautiful.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Two types of anise hyssop? I immediately checked Richters Herbs, a good source for herbs, and ... no, they don't have but one. I have forgotten what it was the other day that I came across. Hadn't even thought that some plant breeder would have been doing selections and whatever else they might be up to, attempting to introduce genetic variables into another species.

I came across a healthy Nepeta cateria beside the Big Veggie Garden, on Wednesday. Can't get away from that name — "...pet the cat." So, cats spread these plants all across North America after carrying seed on their ocean voyage?

What was the human interest in catnip? I would not have given it another try if it hadn't occurred to me that the flavor might change through drying. It does! And, for the better, IMO.

What might be added to catnip? A more important question, for this human, what change might I expect from lemon balm if it is dried? That herb is another that I found not really to my liking -- fresh. Soon I will have a chance to dry and try :).

Steve
Maybe as a good food source for pollinators? We have two cats, so I want to grow them. I won't consider those toys with catnip inside (sold from the pet shops) as they are so expensive, and who knows what is exactly inside?

I grew both catnip and catmint this year - they are also good fillers for cut flowers.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You make me realize how badly I need a peaceful place. Serene, lovely and most of all, finished with no major work to be done. :love Instead I look about and see all the work that must be done.:lol:
The tiny back porch is nice until noon when the sun hits it. The front porch is a hang out for flies, how I hate those things! I’m sitting in my recliner looking out the window at the beauty of the land, my sheep and dogs. Ahhhh….. peaceful and beautiful.
Dear Bay, do you locate a good spot for container growing? I still have about 10 old containers from the previous owner, metal or ceramic. All are pretty heavy and need some effort to empty and relocate them.

However, it's also interesting to arrange plants for containers. For example, I like this combination a lot, all edible and also ornamental.
6519.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bought a rosemary plant yesterday! It is small and scraggly, but I’ll plant it, just don’t know where yet. I’ll take a page out of your book and put it in a bigger pot.

I had a big rosemary bush in Lindale at the old farm, but the Snowmeggdon we had in February 2021, froze it. It got to -6F degrees. I’m excited to have another one. I have a recipe for rosemary focaccia bread that is very good.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I bought a rosemary plant yesterday! It is small and scraggly, but I’ll plant it, just don’t know where yet. I’ll take a page out of your book and put it in a bigger pot.

I had a big rosemary bush in Lindale at the old farm, but the Snowmeggdon we had in February 2021, froze it. It got to -6F degrees. I’m excited to have another one. I have a recipe for rosemary focaccia bread that is very good.
I also love to use rosemary for rosemary potatoes! It's a super simple recipe: just dice up some potatoes. Then add olive oil, garlic powder, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Mix well and bake at 450 for 35 minutes or until a bit browned and a fork pokes in easily!

Latest posts