HomeMade Compost Tumbler

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nifty said:
What do ya'll think about this?

http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Tumbling-Composter

My issue with these "off the ground" systems is that worms don't seem to be able to jump high enough to get in them.

;)
Won't get you worms per se but it's good to throw in a couple shovelsful of soil anytime you're not composting directly on the earth. helps a LOT.

Pat

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I made one something like this once, Nifty. Used a 55 gallon metal drum and made the mistake of drilling big holes in it. I don't know where I got that idea. :/

I guess I was concerned it would be anaerobic composting otherwise but I turned it into not aerobic composting but no composting at all. :hu

A neighbor built what appeared to be a compost bin out of wire on stilts in his yard. It's real arid in this part of the country and I think he essentially made "petrified compost." The bin finally fell down after about 5 or 10 years. As near as I can tell, that was the first time the material had any chance to decompose. :idunno

Steve

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I built one out of a 45gal plastic drum. Seems to work okay but takes longer then one would think to get to the finished rproduct. It also seems to dry out easly.:idunno

Latest posts