Homemade spaghetti sauce...

jen4

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
OK... had this bright idea to make it tonight... got tomatoes boiling in a pot, did not deseed them, hope its not gross...
The plan is to sautee some squash, zucchini, carrots, peppers and onions to add to this with some fresh basil and who knows what else...

Any recipes would be welcomed! Thanks :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't seed my tomatoes... I use cherry and roma for mine and they are FINE.

I do throw them in boiling water for 30 seconds and dump them in cold water to de-skin them first. Then I heat the tomatoes on low throughout the day. I saute onions, garlic, peppers, eggplant ect and through those in at the last minute so it stays chunky!

I always add parsley, Oregano and basil fresh right before I remove from heat! :)

ENJOY!

jen4

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thats sounds about like what I plan on doing too... thanks :)

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
wow, im still waiting for the abundance of tomatoes .. cant wait to hear how it turns out, so when i do get to make mine i'll know how !!

jen4

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
these arent our tomatoes :( we too are STILL waiting for our to turn, we have 200 tomato plants out there with lots of green tomatoes on them, lol I actually did get to pick an oranges yellow one today.

I've test tasted my sauce... tasting good :D I've added sugar, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning to it... its still kind of watery so I might have to add some cornstarch to it later? I've also added carrots and squash that I put in my food processor sauteing other veggies right now to add later......

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have found that the longer I cook my sauce (step grandma always called it gravy), the more acidic it becomes. So, I make a quicker sauce, bolognasi--about 1 hour, marinara--about 20-30 minutes. Adding sugar to the "sauce" is verboden in my family although a grated carrot is added for just enough sweet to balance the acidity. My stepmom is a first-generation Italian-American and taught me her family recipies. Her mama never learned much English despite living in the US for over 60 years, in New Jersey. We also add a pinch of crushed red pepper to the sauce for a little heat in the background. We served these recipes in our Italian restaurant in CA. Alas, the restaraunt is no more, but I've still got all the recipes in my head. I'd better get them written down because my stepmom, dad, brother and myself are the only ones left who know most of them, although I have taught my own children the gravy and chicken cacciatorie recipes.