Homemade Tabasco

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
DH took a whole bunch of hot red peppers (Jaluv An Attitude variety, which is not terribly hot) and put them in a jar with salt, water, garlic, and an airlock and let them ferment.
Today, he strained off the liquid and ground it up into sauce. The sauce has a gorgeous color. It is spicy, but not too much. I was very pleasantly surprised!
image.jpg

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wish I could taste it. So expect full report on flavor. No vinegar?

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
No vinegar. It is lacto-fermented.
The sauce is quite thick, with a rich red pepper flavor. You first taste the sweetness of the peppers, quickly followed by the heat. It is not so hot that you can't try some just on it's own, but I wouldn't want to take a big swig of it!
The garlic and salt come through, but it is much less salty than actual Tabasco and without the vinegar taste.

We had salmon cakes for dinner and I spread a layer on mine, which was a nice pairing. DH put it on his potatoes!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting. Explain to me, drained liquid off, so he blended what is left? That became sauce? Or took liquid to become the sauce?

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
He didn't add any of the liquid. The peppers were softened by the fermentation, and he just threw them and the garlic into the food processor, seeds and all.

The peppers were packed tight in a half-gallon jar with the liquid and the air lock. The final product was a pint and a half.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder ....

You may remember that I was trying for a "shakeable" blend a year or two ago. Had trouble finding the appropriate salt. And, nearly did myself in with blending the dry peppers indoors!

I'm still with the dry Super Chilies, more or less crumbled as needed. Or, the fresh peppers crushed, frozen and scraped out of the container, as needed.

I wonder ...

Here's the phickle recipe.

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ah, this is the thing then. I've made it before, with garlic, salt and vinegar and it just wasn't quite right. I tried again this time thinking that "aged" peppers meant they needed to hang and dry for quite some time. Nope, not quite right either. I will try the fermenting!

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Even the wet peppers cause some coughing fits while processing indoors, but not too bad. I went out to tend the chickens while DH finished the sauce, and the house smelled wonderful when I returned.

Latest posts