"Homestead Rescue" on TV

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does anyone else watch this show?
I don't - by any means - consider my little 'glorified back yard' farm a homestead, and I'm pretty sure I'd be dead within a month if I tried to go 'off grid'... But these people CRACK ME UP!

I tend to be a bit of an over-planner and feel like I have to research any new adventure half to death before I'll consider actually jumping in. These folks are blowing their entire savings to move into the middle of nowhere with barely any shelter - most don't have running water - many don't have any plan for dealing with their own waste let alone the animals' that they bring with them. I haven't seen an episode yet where there was any real plan to protect livestock from predators and most don't even have a basic idea of how to give basic care to the pigs, chickens, etc that they plan to live off of.
In the one I watched last night, they were pretty sure that the water they were watering their garden with was poisoning the plants ... but hadn't thought to have it checked and they were still drinking it!

Makes me feel like some kind of 'homestead genius' when I look at my canning cabinet full of meat & veggies that I raised and preserved.
Of course... I'd be pretty hard pressed to have accomplished any of that without electricity and running water....

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane, YOU are a genious compared to the vast majority of those that move out onto small acreage and raise a few chickens, or other small livestock. They treat animals as pets instead of livestock with no consideration of return on investment for profit in the form of money income or feeding themselves and family as well as all other needs to live. If it wasn't for a paying job, they would starve and go broke in short order. Also, many of those folks that go off grid have a romantic notion of life of self sufficiency, but little to no life skills other than in their own mind. Want proof ... watch just one to two homestead rescue shows !

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
If it is a show, producers have already done the homework. All is good. It’s all a sham. Think “Green Acres”.

Watch “naked and alone”. May be naked but they are NOT alone. Surrounded by crew and nurses....

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
If they did things the right way, it wouldn't be "reality TV". Gotta have the drama dummies, don't cha know.....

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
If it is a show, producers have already done the homework. All is good. It’s all a sham. Think “Green Acres”.

Watch “naked and alone”. May be naked but they are NOT alone. Surrounded by crew and nurses....
YUP !!! I have seen only 2 episodes... of the homestead rescues. The 3 heroes perform the miracle turn around rescues in SEVEN DAYS . Amen. :th:weee :celebrate

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score

YUP !!! I have seen only 2 episodes... of the homestead rescues. The 3 heroes perform the miracle turn around rescues in SEVEN DAYS . Amen. :th:weee :celebrate