HomesteaderWife's 2017 Garden

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a Family Grain Mill with the hand grind and motor attachments. I have used it for wheat and dent corn.

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Gourd Seedling
IMG_4466.JPG

Broomcorn Sorghum
IMG_4469.JPG

Sweet Corn
IMG_4470.JPG

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
As of May 21st, we have our gourds beginning to run and our Big Boy Purple Hull peas doing well as they sprout from the soil. Okra is starting to come up in a nice row, and the squash/cucumbers/green beans are healthy as can be! Tomato plants and pepper plants are growing larger each day! I have not yet been to check on the corn and the sorghum, as we had a BAD storm last night that I hope did not damage any of them.

@baymule - The crows haven't been as bad this year, and I think it's all thanks to "Earl" the scarecrow. :lol:

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, thanks to a gun and a Labrador Retriever's help, we no longer have a rabbit problem. It has been eating our bean plants, and we finally caught him out there yesterday evening. The Lab went and brought it back proudly, and in the spirit of not wasting anything, I had the hide stretched and salted within about 20 minutes after. The sweet corn is staying pretty short (after last year with the Hastings' Prolific corn we had, which grew very tall, this Golden Bantam definitely seems so small!) Good healthy plants all around. Unfortunately, our carrots were 100% unsuccessful, and one of the hens got loose and scratched up half of my gourds. We had another bad storm early this morning around 4 AM with some high winds, and that always makes me nervous when growing corn. Expecting a solid week nearly of thunderstorms starting tonight.

I'll post some photos later on to this- sorry for the lack of update!

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow! It's been a month since I have posted photos- check out the difference!

Here are (from left to right)
Row 1: Tomatoes & Bell Peppers
Row 2: Jalapenos and Green Beans
Row 3: Yellow Squash
Row 4: You can barely see it here, but we have a full row of Okra sprouting up
Row 5: Cucumbers
IMG_4761.JPG

Tiny little Okra!

IMG_4772.JPG

My little Gourds are growing fast in this rain and rich soil! (Notice that it is planted in alot darker, richer soil- it has manure and mulch in it that we gathered).
IMG_4778.JPG

Blue Hopi corn started!
IMG_4835.JPG

Which one is Sweet Corn, and which one is Broomcorn Sorghum? Can you guess? They're actually so similar, I would be confused if I didn't have my rows marked. My rows are looking pretty grassy after almost a two week long rain spell.
IMG_4833.JPG IMG_4834.JPG

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We've had rain for a week, the weeds are galloping! Your garden looks good! Hope you get a great harvest!

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow! It's been a month since I have posted photos- check out the difference!

Here are (from left to right)
Row 1: Tomatoes & Bell Peppers
Row 2: Jalapenos and Green Beans
Row 3: Yellow Squash
Row 4: You can barely see it here, but we have a full row of Okra sprouting up
Row 5: Cucumbers
View attachment 20110

Tiny little Okra!

View attachment 20111

My little Gourds are growing fast in this rain and rich soil! (Notice that it is planted in alot darker, richer soil- it has manure and mulch in it that we gathered). View attachment 20112

Blue Hopi corn started!
View attachment 20115

Which one is Sweet Corn, and which one is Broomcorn Sorghum? Can you guess? They're actually so similar, I would be confused if I didn't have my rows marked. My rows are looking pretty grassy after almost a two week long rain spell.
View attachment 20113 View attachment 20114

weeds :confused: all i see is gods gift to keep you busy..........:lol:
very nice garden you have there.....

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just brought in a few Jalapenos and some Yellow Squash yesterday.
IMG_4960.JPG

The Sweet Corn is doing pretty poorly thus far, but the Sorghum is shooting up to shoulder-height already. Part of my Gourds have developed runners, and they're growing pretty quickly! Tomatoes are still green, but all the more excuse to make a few Fried Green Tomatoes for my husband! One little Bell Pepper is forming now too.

Green Beans are coming in finally, as are the Cucumbers!
IMG_4957.JPG IMG_4958.JPG

Latest posts