HoneySuckle All Year Round

mum mummy

Sprout
Reaction score
I want a hunny suckle bush so bad. I am going to have to order one because you just can not find them in stores

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just be careful, they are vines and some can be very invasive! Especially in the south. My vines are actually out near the woods choking out plants I hate that are invasive too... so I just leave it so it smells nice. But one day I will have to cut it back... and its a lot of work. ;)

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Here are the photos of how my Honeysuckle Jelly turned out.

Here are some jars before the lids went on.

4jarswithflowers.jpg

Here are the jars backlit by the kitchen window
ThreeJarswflowers.jpg

Here are some flowers in the jar.
Singlejarwithflowersbettter.jpg

Here they are taken with a flash, it shows the color of the jelly.

StackedJarswithFlowers02.jpg

I was sort of disappointed that the jelly didn't really taste like the fragrance of Honeysuckle. Obviously the heat changes it. It has a very pleasant flavor, just not what I expected. I make a sort of "tea" from the flowers, only I use cold water. It is wonderful! Just like the flower smells.

I do want to try the Apple Rosemary. Or maybe Apple Sage and Apple Mint, or maybe Apple Thyme would be good. I have a few Lemon Thyme plants.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
"I was sort of disappointed that the jelly didn't really taste like the fragrance of Honeysuckle. Obviously the heat changes it. It has a very pleasant flavor, just not what I expected. I make a sort of "tea" from the flowers, only I use cold water. It is wonderful! Just like the flower smells."

:frow :frow

Hi rebbetzin,

Can you tell me exactly how you make your honeysuckle tea & do you only drink it cold?

Thyme & apple jelly is lovely as is the mint version but I am not overfond of the sage. Somehow it tastes rank to me. I find sage a difficult herb - it often tastes like blood to my tongue !! :sick
Apple & rosemary is my absolute favourite -- it is lovely on toast or pancakes, it's great with toasted cheese & perfect with roast pork.......now I am very hungry.........:lol:

:rose Hattie :rose

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Reb, how long did you let the honeysuckle tea to make the jelly sit?

For some reason my flavor is VERY delicate, but it leaves the after taste of honeysuckle no doubt?

I LOVE it with the flowers in it!!!

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
Hi rebbetzin,

Can you tell me exactly how you make your honeysuckle tea & do you only drink it cold?

Thyme & apple jelly is lovely as is the mint version but I am not overfond of the sage. Somehow it tastes rank to me. I find sage a difficult herb - it often tastes like blood to my tongue !! :sick
Apple & rosemary is my absolute favourite -- it is lovely on toast or pancakes, it's great with toasted cheese & perfect with roast pork.......now I am very hungry.........:lol:

:rose Hattie :rose
I just pick a few flowers, say 6 to 10 for a couple of cups of water. I let it sit either on the counter or in the fridge for 30 min. to an hour. Then drink it cold. I have never tried it heated.

I have a neighbor that does all kinds of flower essence waters. She hunts the neighborhood for different types of cactus flowers. So far I only really like the taste of Honeysuckle water.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Reb, how long did you let the honeysuckle tea to make the jelly sit?

For some reason my flavor is VERY delicate, but it leaves the after taste of honeysuckle no doubt?

I LOVE it with the flowers in it!!!
Probably too long, the recipe I had said to pour the boiling water over the flowers, then let them sit until the water was room temperature. Which took quite a while really.

The water still had a honeysuckle flavor before I reheated it and added the pectin. I did wind up having to recook it, because I didn't add enough pectin at first. The second time it gelled quite nicely.

It has a nice flavor, just not really a discernable honeysuckle flavor.