HOOP COOP

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are a Woman of many talents! I love the coop. It shows that it does not have to be fancy to be functional, too.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
My coop is a hoop coop I built about 3 yrs ago....cheap, effective and versatile. I don't move mine as I like to build a good deep litter pack, but it could be moved once upon a time. It's awfully heavy now, though, so it might just pull apart at the seams. :gig

I added another hoop since the original build and built in the end caps, built wooden nest box units instead of the light weight tote nests I had before and then I built an attached dog house to the back. This thing ain't movin'.

LOVE my little hoop coop too! Nice build, Baymule!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
You go girl! :thumbsup

I like that tip about the hog rings. That would be so much quicker! I ended up wrapping the cut ends of the woven wire sides onto the cattle panels when I constructed mine and greatly regretted that when it got blown over the hill and needed repairs.

Then DH forgot to use something to keep the bottom of the cattle panels up off the ground when he worked on replacing the 2x4 bottom and the ends dig into the ground now making it impossible to drag. Whole thing needs taken apart and rebuilt. We get so much wind up here, I have to drill holes in the 2x4s at each corner and use rebar to anchor it down.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I built this coop in four days. I finished on May 29, we were leaving for Florida on June 1. My Mom went in the hospital on May 31. we stayed home and our kids and grand kids went to Florida without us. Mom died on Fathers Day.

I left the hole above the door uncovered. I kept thinking I needed to get wire over it, but with everything going on, I neglected to do so. An owl got 6 of my 12 pullets in a couple of nights before I realized it and I got the durn hole covered. I was mad at myself for it, but what is done is done.

I have plans for another more permanent coop. This will then transform to my grow out coop for chicks. Being mobile, I can drag it around and give the chicks fresh ground/grass. I LOVE HOOP COOPS!!
What a lot of bad things at once Bay. Sometimes when you write everything down I bet you could not believe the toll. I hope you are smiling again. Nice coup.

Latest posts