hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh! Being sick on Christmas day is a bummer BJ, but glad that you were able to enjoy it anyway. :hugs

We had a quiet, but really enjoyable day too. Kid#1 finally made it down here in the late afternoon with his girlfriend, a sweet hearted girl that we just love. It appears that we have moved into the era of having to share our kid with the almost-in-laws :).

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much was raging infections and how much was just being a kid. At times, I remember feverish near-delirium on Christmas eve as a kid!

I'd lobbied unsuccessfully for beef but roast chicken, it was . . . Over 5 pounds from Albertsons - the critter was nearly as big as our T-day turkey! Big enuf for our small din din and we didn't feel the need to pull out many stops on the accessories.

DW made 1 too many pie crusts. So . . . I stirred up some Jell-o banana pudding and put together a banana cream pie.

Wouldn't you know that my pumpkin pie nearly went begging and that silly, whipped together pie received rave reviews! I ignored Jell-o and gave the credit to Dole. Wait until Baker's Angle Flake & I knock their socks off with a coconut cream!

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Coconut Meringue pie is my favorite! (along with many others) Unfortunately, I'm the only one in the family that eats coconut. Something I should have checked out 45 years ago when we were still dating. Sigh, it's too late now, I suppose.

Banana cream is delicious as well. The problem I have with banana (another 1st world problem) is ya gotta eat the whole pie in one setting as it darkens by the next day.

I made apple pie and an apricot strudel with the extra crust. Six people are not enough to finish off one pie here. I will have to eat the last three pieces if no one stops by soon. The strudel? Gone, gone, gone.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, I had a wonderful Christmas Day. The standing rib roast was cooked to perfection. With the Roast Beast taking center stage, the rest of the meal was simple - mashed spuds, gravy, broccoli w/cheese, salad. au jus and apple pie.

Special people, simple gifts, lots of enjoyment, good food, and a few games of pool made up the day. The only thing keeping it from being perfect is that my daughter and her family were not here. Their busy life took them in other directions. Sigh.

AND. . . with Gypsy not staying overnight Christmas Eve, I HAD to make the pie all by myself. I used a recipe I found in my files that I'd forgotten about. The crust turned out just right! Since I am a crust person, if the crust is great the pie is great. Of course the apricot strudel I made with the rest of the crust was even better (because it had more crust). I am so proud of myself! Pie was one thing I was never good at and so I left making it to MIL. Now I know I can do it. Hooray for me!

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We had a great Christmas! My sister somehow manages to get sick just about every holiday, probably from being over-excited. For the past three years Ma has lost a crown on both Thanksgiving and Christmas, she had to stick to mashed potatoes and applesauce for those holidays. Last year we had a surprise batch of Muscovy ducklings in the middle of winter, not good. None of that kind of stuff this year.

Latest posts