Hornets nest

Suess

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I probably would mind it if it wasn't outside my back porch. It is brand new, only about 1 sq inch. I can see the queen and she has three workers helping make it bigger and bigger. Does anyone know how to get rid of it?

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You can use commercial spray. Some of them reach 20 feet. You can do what my DH and I do and spray it with a hose. Depending on the hornet, once the site is disturbed, they sometimes will not attempt to rebuild. We did have white faced hornets, which can be nasty, and we did use the spray on them when they made nests under the deck, the side of the pool, and under the eaves of the house because we are both allergic to hornets and do not need an easily agitated type living where we play and enter the house. We also do not want our son to be stung too early because we are afraid he will become allergic as well because of both of us. Normally we try not to use sprays around the house, unless necessary.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had the same thing exactly, but on the front porch. Don't know how we missed it but it was still tiny. Waited until dark, swatted it down and crushed it. I've heard that Dawn detergent and water kills bees instantly but haven't tried it yet.

Latest posts