horse manure

blue skys

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
So, I really have a long way to go to get my soil up to snuff. I was thinking about calling the local large animal vet clinic to ask them for their horse manure. I just wanted to ask y'all first if there is anything I should worry about as far as medicine or illness that might make the manure unsafe to use as compost. I would of course compost it well before putting it in the garden, just wondering if anyone knows anything about it...

ohiofarmgirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
just call your local stables! we got TONS and they are happy to load you right up!

we put a bunch on our 'field' which is in bad shape and the added benefit for us was that a bunch of oats and stuff came up - pasture for free!

what this means for you tho - is you have to weed like the dickens or put some kind of roundup on it. i dont mind the weeding as i can "weed and feed" for my goats and hens

:)

but to your point, i dont know if i'd start with the vet stuff...

blue skys

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
duh... It never occured to me to call a stable - there are two big ones within 15 miles or so of me. I will call them. Thanks!! :thumbsup

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yeap, No worries so much as sickness. And you will have some great stuff coming in the next couple of years. :ya :tools
Our soil in our raised beds is our 3 & 4 year old composted Horse manure , and pine needles and it is black gold for plants :love :clap

You will have the best garden in your area, just wait and see :watering :weight

:happy_flower Karan :D :D

blue skys

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I would be happy if it was the best garden in my yard!!!

Thanks for the encouragment, I will be making calls this weekend to get some.

:tools

nemigardener

Sprout
Reaction score
We planned on putting in a garden about 6 years ago so my husband had some friends of our who had 10 horses at the time bring 2 spreader loads full over. My husband and the neighbor boy spent all afternoon tilling it in. Then the engine blew on his truck so we had to put energy into that.

Next spring, the area we had planned for the garden was full of lush, thick white clover while the surrounding area was sand with sparse grass.

I got pregnant, distracted and forgot about the garden until 2 years ago. Out of curiosity we spaded the soil and found rich, thick black dirt where the manure had been placed. I dump about 100 lbs of horse manure on it every year, but the original loads put an excellent base for our soil.

The best stuff is 3 years old if the stables have any in a big pile just rotting. If the horses are given dewormer (which they probably are) best to age it for 6 months before using to the vermicides have a chance to decompose.

Latest posts