horseradish

ijon

Leafing Out
Reaction score
How do you get rid of horseradish? I have tried digging it up, still I miss some.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LOL

I have one I am getting ready to plant.

I assume it is like rhubarb and it will keeping coming back. Just keep digging the new shoots as soon as they pop up.

Can you cover the area with black plastic for a season?

ijon

Leafing Out
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
LOL

I have one I am getting ready to plant.

I assume it is like rhubarb and it will keeping coming back. Just keep digging the new shoots as soon as they pop up.

Can you cover the area with black plastic for a season?
That might be a good idea. Plant yours where it won't go crazy. The roots will go really deep. Thanks.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The good thing about horse radish is that it stays in a clump and won't run all over the garden. It also produces no seed so you won't have seedlings popping up. The only way to rid yourself of it is persistence. Just keep digging whenever you see a sprout. Whatever you do don't run a tiller over it or you will really have it popping up from the chopped roots.

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You've got to dig up every single teeny piece of root there is :) Otherwise, it keeps coming back.

I just found out that I've got horseradish in my yard, next to my rhubarb. And I was going to order roots to plant !!! I've been here for 2 years, so this will be the third year it's gone un-touched. Can't wait to dig it up and get it into a designated, proper bed of it's own, so it can grow and spread more. Right now, it's at the edge of the rhubarb, where the lawn meets it. Can't wait to see what I find in the fall!

ijon said:
How do you get rid of horseradish? I have tried digging it up, still I miss some.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wouldn't move the whole clump. Older roots get fibrous. It would be better to take a young healthy offshoot root about the size of your thumb and plant it with the top (be sure you know which end is the top) just below the ground. You'll have new shoots coming up in two weeks or less. You can leave the original clump in place till you are sure the new one is on its way.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
ijon, I was afraid to look at this thread because I thought that someone would be desirous of having horseradish and planning to put some in.

Ha!

I have had to deal with it in 2 locations. One, in Dad's garden -- to give Dad credit, he did make some horseradish sauce. And, I actually ate maybe a tablespoon of it over the course of a half dozen years :lol:. Honestly, I like horseradish sauce but not especially Dad's concoction.

The other place was in my own backyard where someone thought he'd grow iris but there was horseradish to compete with it . . . oh yeah, that would be me! I will use Round-up in the ornamentals. Searching it out with the sprayer, 3 years running, and it was gone!

Same thing in Dad's garden which I turned into 100% ornamentals. The last I saw of the horseradish, it was trying to grow between the concrete blocks of the compost bin. Again, about 3 years with the Round-up, it was gone.

Steve

ijon

Leafing Out
Reaction score
digitS' said:
ijon, I was afraid to look at this thread because I thought that someone would be desirous of having horseradish and planning to put some in.

Ha!

I have had to deal with it in 2 locations. One, in Dad's garden -- to give Dad credit, he did make some horseradish sauce. And, I actually ate maybe a tablespoon of it over the course of a half dozen years :lol:. Honestly, I like horseradish sauce but not especially Dad's concoction.

The other place was in my own backyard where someone thought he'd grow iris but there was horseradish to compete with it . . . oh yeah, that would be me! I will use Round-up in the ornamentals. Searching it out with the sprayer, 3 years running, and it was gone!

Same thing in Dad's garden which I turned into 100% ornamentals. The last I saw of the horseradish, it was trying to grow between the concrete blocks of the compost bin. Again, about 3 years with the Round-up, it was gone.

Steve
Thanks.

Latest posts