horseradish

aussieheelr

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh I would LOVE to have horseradish in my garden!!! Odd question but can you take a root from the grocery store and plant it or do you have to get one from a garden center?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
if it's not dried out, any root should work.

I've got it started on the side of my garden and in the chicken pen. I'ts the only plant the chickens can't kill.

Love ground horseradish. My wife mixes it w/beets to cut the strength and sweeten it. That's good as well.

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the same applies to horseradish as other "root" veggies, etc, but most grocery items are treated to inhibit root or shoot growth, with the exception of organic foods. I'd say, it can't hurt to try, but may not work.

There are a lot of nurseries that sell the bare roots to plant- I believe Johnny's and Territorial Seed are 2 that I've seen selling them, but they're fairly expensive- about $25 for 5 roots.

aussieheelr said:
Oh I would LOVE to have horseradish in my garden!!! Odd question but can you take a root from the grocery store and plant it or do you have to get one from a garden center?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
aussieheelr said:
I wouldn't have a garden without horseradish. The greens taste like mustard. It's also a good trap plant for snails and slugs. They will come to it from all over the garden putting all your "problem children" in one place so you can deal with them.

dogginfox

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have several horseraddish plants in my garden that I have propogated from a small root I bought from Wal-mart several years ago. If you get a root from the grocery I would suggest soaking it in water overnight before planting

aussieheelr

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ok. I checked with our Natural Grocer out here and I guess I was just a couple days late. They said they couldn't sell it, nobody was buying it so they tossed it all and won't get it again :( So I'll have to keep my eye open for it at the other stores.