Horses and Wild Horses

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Donkey meat is called poopy? Doesn’t sound very appetizing. Tastes like sh!t?
Actually I imagine it must taste OK, given that there are people who eat it by choice. Saucisson d' ane (donkey meat salami) is a local specialty of the French village of Arles (where Van Gough painted) A similar horse meat sausage is common in the Camargue area (which also has a lot of wild horses). And legally, the formulas for a LOT of the traditional salamis and dry sausages of Southern Europe CAN legally contain horse or donkey to eke out the pork or beef.

And if you think that is odd, I found somewhere in the US making salami out of chevroin (goat meat) and another that has them available in about 15 different meats, ranging form the semi-common like bison, venison, ostrich, emu, and alligator to the rarer like alpaca, antelope, llama and camel to the downright weird, like otter (which even I am not sure I am ready to try). And the actual site itself seems to offer meat from pretty much every animal imaginable, including some I wasn't aware ANYONE ate, like bobcat, coyote, and iguana (well, I knew the Pre-Colombians liked iguana, as did early Spaniards, on fast days).

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I sort of agree about the hunting thing. However, I think another important point might be re-writing the laws to be more like those of Europe and letting hunters EAT the horses they kill. There are centuries of evidence in Europe and Asia that horse is perfectly fit for human consumption. So to say that horse is only fit for pet food is sort of insulting (especially in a world where we thing there is going to be a meat shortage soon.) I could get people getting mad with the Tesco's Lasagna incident because of false advertising (purporting the meat to be beef when it wasn't) but to be offended on the ground that "eating horse is gross" does not make much sense to me.

All, of what I say also applies to poopy (donkey meat).
I believe the reason why horse isn't fit for human consumption in the USA is the drugs. While some horses being slaughtered are wild horses, a lot of them are also ex-racers/riding horses. They've been dewormed. They've been pumped full of drugs, some legal and some not.

Phenylbutazone for example, is a common pain reliever people give to their horses to control pain. It can cause kidney failure, liver injury, and other potentially fatal problems. That's just one drug among many potentially in that meat.

I don't think I'd even feed it to a dog, because you just don't know what you're eating when it wasn't farmed specifically for food.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's a valid concern (though I was thinking specifically of hunters hunting wild horses).

There is also the fact that, like a lot of "game meats" with horse, younger is usually considered better. So you'd basically have hunters going after the same colts and fillies that the people who want to catch and tame them are going after. That is, if it was even LEGAL to shoot a young horse, which I don't know it would be (despite the fact that a lot of people bemoan how overpopulated much of the country is with deer, I here relatively few people, including hunters, who want to try and expand legal hunting to include fawns).

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
IF this woman is so devastated, buy ground and let them roam. Horses are not a native species to America. The ground they feed on is ground native species could utilize. I sure wouldn’t want horses running free on my place. I leave the deer alone. (Although do whine like a baby when they eat my garden.)
They were there first but I get your point. She has found a place of safety for them and I didn't get the whining

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
In western states, there is much federal land. It can be leased for cattle, mining or oil drilling. Wild horses can over populate the range and about their only predator is a mountain lion and they prefer young foals-easier to kill than a fully grown wild horse. Over population leads to starvation. So rounding up wild horses and selling them is bad? I suppose starving is better?

This is a beautiful story and this herd can now run free at her sanctuary. But what is not said is more than likely the colts must be sold to keep from over populating the available land/grass. I’m sure that she is extremely picky on who buys the colts. Most sanctuaries and rescues have contracts that a buyer must honor. Personally because of their stringent rules, I would never buy a horse from a rescue or sanctuary. If I pay for it, it is mine to do with as I want. Not so with a rescue horse. They often want to come inspect the horse and most contracts have the right to seize the animal if it is not up to their standards. No way I would ever do that.

Much easier to go buy a horse out of a kill pen. It’s chancy, you don’t know what you are getting, but it’s about the same at a rescue.

I am for horse slaughter here in the US. The bleeding hearts were able to close it down in the US, so now horses have a long ride to Mexico or Canada. I suppose the idiots think that is better?

Bottom line is, there is an over supply of horses and not enough buyers. When I go to auctions, there is always fully grown horses that their owners have done nothing with. All of a sudden that cute foal has grown up and will kick the crap out of them and will not submit and ride them around. No training. They sell cheap to kill buyers. There are usually old or injured horses, they also sell to kill buyers. Then begins the long trip across the country to get to the border where slaughter is legal. The bleeding hearts didn’t stop it, they made it worse. Why don’t they go to auctions and buy them up? Why? Because it costs money and lots of it to feed a horse. They do not put their money where their mouth is.

With inflation on the rise, feed costs are rising. Fertilizer costs (think hay and grass) have tripled. Fuel for the tractors to cut, rake and bale that hay, has also tripled. A round bale of hay cost me $65 last year. I expect that to double or triple this year.

With food prices going to the moon, families will be hard pressed to just feed themselves. Horses will start hitting the auctions soon and probably a flood of them come fall when people can’t afford hay.

We’ll, this turned out to be me on my soap box. Didn’t mean for it to turn out this way, but it is reality. Reality is seldom the pretty picture painted by rescues.

I’m very happy for this woman and her band of wild horses. Somebody has to feed them and I bet it isn’t her. Heart tugging videos brings in the cash donations for her to continue. Not a bad job, she gets to hang out with wild horses and somebody else pays for it. She’s brilliant.
Maybe making sure they don't have fouls would be the answer like stray cats

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Actually I imagine it must taste OK, given that there are people who eat it by choice. Saucisson d' ane (donkey meat salami) is a local specialty of the French village of Arles (where Van Gough painted) A similar horse meat sausage is common in the Camargue area (which also has a lot of wild horses). And legally, the formulas for a LOT of the traditional salamis and dry sausages of Southern Europe CAN legally contain horse or donkey to eke out the pork or beef.

And if you think that is odd, I found somewhere in the US making salami out of chevroin (goat meat) and another that has them available in about 15 different meats, ranging form the semi-common like bison, venison, ostrich, emu, and alligator to the rarer like alpaca, antelope, llama and camel to the downright weird, like otter (which even I am not sure I am ready to try). And the actual site itself seems to offer meat from pretty much every animal imaginable, including some I wasn't aware ANYONE ate, like bobcat, coyote, and iguana (well, I knew the Pre-Colombians liked iguana, as did early Spaniards, on fast days).
No wonder our animal species are dying out.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The first point is why, for example, I have no problem supporting the ASPCA, but have a BIG problem supporting PETA. The way I see it, at this point, they are basically using theoretical "cruelty" as a defense for their ACTUAL cruelty. There is NO WAY that I will EVER see me keeping my cat as a pet and tending to his needs as somehow more "cruel" than euthanizing him. I'm sure there are many sincere and well minded people in their ranks, but to many seem to have made the jump from being pro-animal rights to anti-human rights (I remember back in college when there was a report of a tiger in India which had killed and eaten many people being trapped and relocated, the local PETA chapter actually started a rally against the relocation, saying it violated the tigers rights to live where it please and to eat what it pleased, including people. Or the anti-teddy bear rally on the grounds that "stuffed animals encourage people to see animals as things to be touched and cuddled instead of left completely alone.")

I sort of agree about the hunting thing. However, I think another important point might be re-writing the laws to be more like those of Europe and letting hunters EAT the horses they kill. There are centuries of evidence in Europe and Asia that horse is perfectly fit for human consumption. So to say that horse is only fit for pet food is sort of insulting (especially in a world where we thing there is going to be a meat shortage soon.) I could get people getting mad with the Tesco's Lasagna incident because of false advertising (purporting the meat to be beef when it wasn't) but to be offended on the ground that "eating horse is gross" does not make much sense to me.

All, of what I say also applies to poopy (donkey meat).
We see enough human killing with these wars. It would be entertaining if those that started it would be those that were slaughtered, just saying

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
They were there first but I get your point. She has found a place of safety for them and I didn't get the whining
He means there are no wild horses in his area, but there are deer. He doesn’t hunt them, I’m guessing he likes watching them and doesn’t want to kill one. But being deer, they help themselves to his garden and while he may enjoy them being there, eating his garden makes him whine ( moan, groan and complain) . LOL

Latest posts