Hose rant

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's all but impossible to garden without a water hose but they are evil. I'm convinced they are all made by little demons in Hades. They kink, they tangle, they loop around things and get caught on things. This morning I was moving a hose and didn't look carefully enough behind me. The dang thing formed a loop around a nicely growing tomato plant and pulled it up by the roots. Drag one across what you think is a clear patio deck and everything on that deck will catch on the hose and follow behind you like a circus parade. :barnie

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hoses are always a problem! Mine are always leaking, coming unhooked, etc. The only thing that makes me madder- is the watering head (with the on/off shower head). If I had the money I've spent on those over the years... I routinely break 3 or 4 of those!!
I do have a few of those hose guides. They help a little.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I can't find hose guides with stakes long enough to stay in place in soft gaden soil. They always either tip over or pull out under pressure.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have one of my preschoolers hold some of it up for me or pull it when I need more length! :lol: Works pretty good!

Mary

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
I have one of my preschoolers hold some of it up for me or pull it when I need more length! :lol: Works pretty good!

Mary
There ya go, hoodat! Got any preschoolers around...? :lol:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh yeah! Hoses have to be one of the more trying things about gardening for sure. And some are waaayy more trying than others.

Two years ago I bought some hose at Costco that had the cocky claim printed on the label that they were Unkinkable (!!!). Naturally I bought two. Worst worst worst hoses I have ever used! :rant

I have to have a lot of hose to get around the property since we are spigot poor (two on the house and 1 frost free hydrant out front by the garden) so I go for the 90 footers usually, and I try not to buy the cheap ones.

OTOH the best value I got was some 90 foot ones at the feed and farm that only set me back 30 bucks each. They turned out to be surprisingly good quality with just a minimum of kinking. :love

I use rebar for hose guides, making them tall enough to pound in a good ways, and putting those old powerline glass insulators on the top so I don't impale myself.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
2 by 2 posts . . . rebar scared me every time I walk past. Glass insulator, huh?

The most dangerous threat to a garden: the gardener dragging a hose!

If they are truly kink-free, they are so stiff that it takes half an acre to pull them in a 180. Everything and everyone, is in danger of having their legs jerked out from under them!

Hoodat, you've got 90 weather! Doesn't that kind of supple things out a little?

Steve

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hoses, they are the most aggravating things about yardwork and gardening. We have one out front right now with at least 4 kinks in it, we bought it as a kink free hose! Ya right.

Latest posts