Hose rant

Featherbaby

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
There are three things in life you just can't argue with: a rainstorm, a kinked hose and an angry spouse.

Just keep on walkin' .........

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
2 by 2 posts . . . rebar scared me every time I walk past. Glass insulator, huh?

The most dangerous threat to a garden: the gardener dragging a hose!

If they are truly kink-free, they are so stiff that it takes half an acre to pull them in a 180. Everything and everyone, is in danger of having their legs jerked out from under them!

Hoodat, you've got 90 weather! Doesn't that kind of supple things out a little?

Steve
The hose I'm using now is so old it's pretty limber but it still kinks and catches on things. Sometimes I think they're better when they're still a bit stiff. They don't kink as much but then they act like a sidewinder and drag across plants sideways. Ya can't win. I think I'm on the third repair hose end now.
Boy today was miserable for weather. I can take the 90 degrees but it was also 2% humidity. My poor bunnies are having a hard time of it. There's so much pollen in the air they are sneezing as much as I am.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
After getting sick of cheap, kinked up hoses, I convinced hubby to spend some REAL money on a good hose. Goodyear brand. It was no better than the cheap hoses! :he

We do have one good hose. I bought it at Sam's about 15 years ago. We have replaced the ends a few times so it keeps getting shorter!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I can't wait until we get the pump system set up from the pond. So looking forward to having a couple locations to get water and a drip system set up from one, while the other will attach to a short hose and a veggie sink and table.

Or that's the 'Dream' anyways!

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We have to buy the really heavy duty "hot water" style of hose here. The sun just bakes anything else. I curse the hoses all the time.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
hoodat said:
. . . 2% humidity. My poor bunnies are having a hard time of it. There's so much pollen in the air they are sneezing as much as I am.
Having problems with the hooter, eh?

Sorry. I think I'm still a little rattled from running the tiller so much yesterday ~ oh, that reminds me! Gotta get to the hardware store for more shear pins!

. . . not just the heat, the humidity! I've tried the Neri Pot. I won't recommend that but others report good results. There's also something called sinus rinse but it looks to me that it would have the same problems. I fully plan on carrying a bottle of Ocean Saline in my shirt pocket at all times when our humidity begins to drop.

It isn't just that the plants unload at that time - and, it's continual thru the summer - but, that the low humidity is so hard on the sinuses!

Steve

PS: Maybe you can hose down the rabbit cages a couple times each day . . ?

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
When I was ferret sitting for a friend during a particularly hot part of summer, the owner had some 1 liter bottles in the freezer and told me to pop one of those in the cage when I stopped by the change the water.

Nice cheap way to get them some AC

Plus none of the ferrets melted on my watch :D

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
When I was ferret sitting for a friend during a particularly hot part of summer, the owner had some 1 liter bottles in the freezer and told me to pop one of those in the cage when I stopped by the change the water.

A friend with rabbits around here does the same. She says they fight over who gets to lay right next to the bottle. lol

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
wifezilla said:

I use frozen 2 liter bottles here in the summer -- I put them in the 3gallon chicken water containers without the lids on so the water in them slowly drains out as it unfreezes.