Hosta for Full Sun?

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a hosta that could tolerate a southern exposure? A variegated one, I'm thinking?

miss_thenorth

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I know they say Hosta's like shade, but I have had them in every location, and they have done well for me everywhere--sun, shade, clay, sandy loam, in northern Ontario climates, and southern ontario climates. i've had the variegated type and the solid green type. I would just go ahead and try it.

bluebird

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have full sun also, AND lotsa hosta! :lol: On my biggest one (a blueish large one) I have noticed some brown edges. They all seem to do well here.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i'm under the impression that any heavy-leafed variety will do ok in sun as long as never allowed to dry out altogether?

Pat, not a hosta kind of gal

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They can take quite a bit of sun provided the soil is always evenly moist. That's true for those of us in more northern latitudes, but if you're talking the deep South then I don't think they'll do as well at all. I've seen lines of hostas in dry soil and full, blistering sun, and it's not a pretty sight. :barnie

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was thinking that the blue types liked deeper shade, and the variegated or partially yellow/white ones tolerate more sun. Anybody have a favorite multi-colored one?

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Buff Shallots said:
I was thinking that the blue types liked deeper shade, and the variegated or partially yellow/white ones tolerate more sun. Anybody have a favorite multi-colored one?
That's about right, the blue ones do need more shade to stay blue.

I really love the deep blues, Francis Williams is one of my favorites. I have so many, though, I can't pick one favorite. I've got little ones, huge ones like Sum and Substance, lance leafed, squiggly ones called Sea Wiggles, I'm blanking on names because there are so many out there!

hcammack2

Leafing Out
Reaction score
my favorite is called guacamole my mom has a whole bed of them and then she cuts them down and the daffodils come up and then the hostas fill in after the daffodils die.

Henry

cknmom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have always wanted to grow hostas, but alas, I don't ever seem to have shady spots to plant in.
I have wondered if they would do well in the house??
They are such beautiful plants and so many different kinds.
We do now have the north side of our house is mostly shady until late afternoon, we have been considering planting crocus and tulips, would hostas be fine with those also?
We have TONS of cottontails and jacks, gophers, moles, voles. Will they bother hostas?
If we plant there we will dig down and line it all with chicken wire first.

Monica

red-hen

Leafing Out
Reaction score
See, now I have a slightly different experience, and I'm in a northern zone (great lakes). The ones in the true shade grow like maniacs. and spread beautifully. The few that were planted in mostly sun (they only get a little shade) seem almost stunted - they don't really spread well, they seem a bit small. They survive, but they don't look "happy". But hey - we all have different experiences - so I say try it. If it doesn't work, move them.

Latest posts