Hothouse Pics (picture heavy)

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
At the request of another member, this is a picture of my mmmm hothouse. I'm a little embarassed as it's not much to look at...
100_0548.jpg

Pepper plants
100_0549.jpg

Tomato plants
100_0553.jpg

English cukes
100_0545.jpg

Also at request, here is the pic's of the male and female blossoms on cukes. As well as a pic of what I think are unpollinated female blossoms.

Male blossoms
100_0550.jpg

Female blossom. Note the tiny cuke. This is a pollinated blossom.
100_0551.jpg

Un-pollinated blossoms. At least I think that is the cause, as the mini cukes wither and fall off. I have had to hand pollinate mostly, so I miss the odd, short lived female blossoms sometimes. Please correct me if this is not what is causing this.:)
100_0552.jpg

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Bill, thanks for sharing your pics.

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bill , you have nothing to be embarassed about. It's very nice and does it's job just fine by the looks of all you have growing in their! Good job...All your plants look nice and healthy and very big...and growing nicely! Thank's for sharing...I enjoyed your pic's:)

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Those are the most beautiful pepper plants and so healthy looking. What is inside your hothouse is very nice.
Anne

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That request would be from me, THANKS! what are you using for heat control? Does it get REALLY hot in there during the day to the point of hurting plants?

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oh thanks for sharing. Every little bit helps.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Grow 4 Food said:
That request would be from me, THANKS! what are you using for heat control? Does it get REALLY hot in there during the day to the point of hurting plants?
In the picture, you can see the "double door", of which I usually have the top half open, as well the vent at the bottom of the door, which is controllable. In addition, but not visable, is another opening at the back of the hothouse, which is also controllable. It is designed to hold an electric fan as well, if required. The fan would be used if there were extreme humidity (ie; condensation) problems, like you can get in the early spring or fall. The fact that we live very close to the ocean, means we tend to always have a slight breeze, which really helps.

It can get pretty hot, but the venting works well, so as it's not extreme. I have to water every day, or the planters, which I now realize are smaller than they should be, would dry out. In future I think I would go with the five gallon planters, rather than the two gallon. This would give me a bit of leeway if I should forget to water one day, as they would not dry out so fast.

I recently added Sea Soil compost to top dress all the planters, and this helps them from drying so rapidly. In future I will put a mulch on from the get-go, as I can see how well it slows the drying process. I should have known better.:rolleyes:

averytds

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I want one for DH too so I can have fresh produce year round.

How do you do the pollinating. Sorry if stupid question. DHs the gardener not me. :p

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
averytds, There is some natural pollination that takes place, as bees do come in, but in addition, I use a tiny paintbrush.

averytds

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
So conceivably you could use the paintbrush method with a hothouse and keep some things going through the winter?

I get tired of waiting for things to ripen, having a crazy week or two to get everything put up and paying so much for fresh produce in the winter.

DH said we'd need a hothouse if I want a few things throughout winter.