House Plants

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is the time of year when those of us in the far north without a greenhouse turn to house plants.

This rubber tree plant is the oldest living thing I possess. I bought it in Boston in 1969, and it lived with us in our city apartments, before moving with us in 1972 to Vermont. At some points in time it would outgrow its pot and the constriction of the house ceilings, and I took cuttings and propagated new plants. So basically these two plants are great grand clones of the original, but with its same DNA.
This is one of two:

RubberTree1.JPG

And this is its twin:

RubberTree2.JPG

The desert diorama in the orange pot is 100% fake, but the tiny cacti in the little pot on the windowsill are living. I grew them from seed, and they are easy care. I check the weather report for Phoenix, Arizona every week, and on days when it rains there, I give them 1/2 tablespoon of water.

MiniCactiGarden.JPG

These geraniums (below) are from clippings taken last fall from outdoor plants that I grew from seed in the Spring of last year. They do surprisingly well despite low light conditions, but I've never had luck transplanting them outdoors at the end of winter. The plant on the right is beginning to bloom with a red flower.

And lastly, between the two geraniums is my waxed amaryllis sending up a second flower stem for one last hurrah.

HousePlants.JPG

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
We need to keep in touch! I bought DD a wax covered amaryllis. Couldn't readily find any, found this one at a local grocery store for a decent price.
It is basically glued to a piece of wood!
Removal shouldn't be too hard, but i don't see how it will be able to grow roots.
Amaryllis, was covered, DDs Christmas plant, 2023.jpg

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
:eek::eek::eek:
What?!?!
This is like what we do with pointsettas!
I'm not buying it.
I am going to try to cut around it and plant in some soil and see what happens. This one isn't really waxed.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The concept of "rescuing" waxed amaryllis bulbs strikes me as ridiculous. The whole point to a waxed bulb is to provide someone with no-care flowers, even easier than cut flowers, because they don't require a vase or water. Homeless pets need rescuing; waxed bulbs do not! For those who want to care for and keep an amaryllis plant for multiple seasons, buy an UNwaxed amaryllis bulb!

That unwaxed bulb attached to a wooden base is a brand new concept, ducks4you. It does seem like it could maybe be detached and then planted in soil. Never say never, it might grow roots in the right medium.

Latest posts