Household Paint and Chemicals

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Would anyone know how long I should leave storing my flour back into a freshly painted room and shelving?

The smell is going down a little but I do not want too make my flour and coconut oil toxic.
The painting was finished yesterday.

I'm really eager to organise this place but not too the cost of my food.

I read it's a few days and then I read up to 24 weeks :ep

Hopefully this thread may find answers for others :)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Would anyone know how long I should leave storing my flour back into a freshly painted room and shelving?

The smell is going down a little but I do not want too make my flour and coconut oil toxic.
The painting was finished yesterday.

I'm really eager to organise this place but not too the cost of my food.

I read it's a few days and then I read up to 24 weeks :ep

Hopefully this thread may find answers for others :)
I guess it's is way too late to choose low VOC. Can you store it in glass?

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I guess it's is way too late to choose low VOC. Can you store it in glass?
I didn't have a choice of paint, there was mold in the room and after many many years the landlords plastered and painted the walls.

Not enough glass only plastic :( the flour is stored in paper bags and cardboard .

We are expecting food shortages here so I tried to keep food in.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
about all i can think of recommending now is to get a fan and a small space heater and dry it out as fast as it will go.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It is something to be concerned about for sure @Marie2020 . In Canada there are regulations in regards to paint compositions in relation to food storage areas, particularly in restaurants. In this case the regulations relate to more the type of paint as opposed to the length of off- gassing you let it do before placing food inside. I would say the longer you give it to off gas the better before putting your food in there. Maybe double container it?

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It is something to be concerned about for sure @Marie2020 . In Canada there are regulations in regards to paint compositions in relation to food storage areas, particularly in restaurants. In this case the regulations relate to more the type of paint as opposed to the length of off- gassing you let it do before placing food inside. I would say the longer you give it to off gas the better before putting your food in there. Maybe double container it?
Thank you.

I'll put up with it being in my living room for a while longer. Then see if I can find containers the coconut oil is in glass so that could go be earlier. :

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
about all i can think of recommending now is to get a fan and a small space heater and dry it out as fast as it will go.
Good idea. Thank you ;) I will put my heater and dehumidifier in there tonight

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
leave the windows and doors open as much as possible to let the fumes out.
Would the ozone machine be helpful. I've read two contradicting views. One said it kills the famaldhyde in home decorations and furniture the other said it's doesn't break down the monocle's. I'm interested in your view on this :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Would the ozone machine be helpful. I've read two contradicting views. One said it kills the famaldhyde in home decorations and furniture the other said it's doesn't break down the monocle's. I'm interested in your view on this :)

do you mean ionizer? ozone isn't something you'd want to be breathing. if it is an ionizer i'd say it won't hurt, but no idea how effective it would be in comparison to just drying the room out as quick as you can and keeping it well ventiliated so the fumes can dissipate. i say no idea because the effect will depend upon the chemical composition of the paint and while i understand chemistry and some physics i'm not a full blown chemist or physical chemistry type sort of person... :)

Latest posts