Houseplant insects??

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I read the whole five pages, and saw nothing to help me. :)

Does anyone have experience with bugs on their house plants? I have something eating my ornamental sweet potato. It was outside last year, and then my Grannie gave it to me. It was doing great all winter, growing like crazy.

Then suddenly leaves start dropping off, and I looked closely at them, and they are covered with tiny holes. I think maybe it is spider mites, since there was a web at the base of the stems. But it could have been from regular spiders. I sprinkled the whole think with pyrethum powder, since that was all I have. It has seemed to help some, it is growing new leaves again. But they are still getting eaten, just not as badly. Any ideas? It will be going outside as soon as it is warm enough.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Spider mites don't make holes; actual spiders don't eat leaves.

Although, it is quite possible you *do* have spider mites *also*.

I would suspect snails or slugs or earwigs, hiding down in the soil by day.

I'd suggest knocking it gently out of its pot to see if you can spot anything. It can be difficult to deal with snails etc in houseplants, though.

Good luck,

Pat

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I dont think we have snails or slugs here, I have never seen one in my life. And they are tiny holes, like a flea beetle would make. Maybe earwigs, though. I will check. Thanks!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
warmfuzzies said:
I dont think we have snails or slugs here, I have never seen one in my life. And they are tiny holes, like a flea beetle would make. Maybe earwigs, though. I will check. Thanks!
Unless you are in Antarctica, there are snails and probably slugs. I'm not talking escargot-size snails, I mean the normal tiny ones -- there are some that are literally the size of the head of a pin that can be significant pests and are often 'caught' from garden centers and nurseries, hiding in pots. Really, knock the plant out and look VERY VERY CAREFULLY.

Good luck,

Pat

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My DH said, uh, yeah, we have snails, and yes those are snail holes! Hmmm. Why diddnt I ask him in the first place????? :idunno

Thanks for your help!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Get those coffee grounds or epson salt out!!! ;)

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Does the beer thing work for snails too, or just slugs?

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It works for snails too.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a lot of small snails on my pumpkins, last year. I tried the beer thing (that works great with slugs) and they were not attracted to it. I ended up going out every morning and hand picking them. I thought for sure the chickens would love them- but they wouldn't touch them!! They can really do a lot of damage. My sweet potato vines always get holes in them outside. I find a tiny bright gold beetle on them. A few of those bugs and your vines are holey all summer!

How do you use the epson salts- do you just sprinkle it around the plants??

Latest posts