How 2020 is going

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am going to really pile on compost this year. I want to have a good garden. I sure need exercise. The chiropractor treatments have made me feel almost normal again. I am going about every 2 weeks. I have absolutely NO choking or breathing problems. The falling asleep breathing problem totally went away. I am going to have blood work done soon and see if there is anything I am not aware of that needs extra attention. DS went to the chiropractor. He had x-rays and total shock. His pelvis is twisted. He said the x-rays of spine were crazy. He has 2 ribs doing something, and he has a fallen arch on the right foot. He twists his right ankle really easy. He has had tennis elbow for several years. They said he can be fixed. This explains a lot of problems he has had. DD found out she is having another girl, so Evelyn will be a big sister. I went out to the garden to try and spread some of the piles of rabbit manure and bedding, but the ground was hard on top. I used a shovel to dig up some of the old plants left out there. I am so out of shape. I am going to try to work each day a little longer. Getting my greenhouse cleaned out and starting to look at seeds to order. It is going to be 47 today and the sun is shinning. I am going to go back out later and see what else I can do.
Rachel and Evelyn(16).jpg
Evelyn in puddle.jpg
Evelyn and blanket.jpg

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I worked for 15 minutes digging some old collard plants and I raked leaves and cleaned box where I will plant lettuce later and spread a pile of rabbit manure and bedding I had put there back in November, but it was just a pile. So now there is a lot of manure there. I am going to buy sacks of organic compost when I run out of my own compost. I am going to clear a spot get the compost and have rabbit manure and turn the dirt and do little sections each day, and have planting spots ready for things that needed to be planted early. Only 15 minutes and I am tired.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hope we can lighten your efforts from the very start, GWR ...

:) It was years ago that I had a February when it seemed a good idea to start in the garden. I didn't have to do any driving to arrive there for work - that garden was just thru the backgate and across the alley. A very dry winter but starting too early on chilly mornings meant that my shovel had to break through a frozen crust of soil. A different February morning (the 17th, that year), I started seed indoors. Shoulda realized that it was too early and the plants would be rootbound before they could be transplanted out. It was below zero that morning! The 2020 growing season looks like a mystery from this distance.

GWR, this is far from your first gardening efforts, even on that ground. That helps! And, you aren't starting off with bees, which may have been what @pumpkin_moon was referring to on her thread.

Such a daunting hobby to break into especially in the north!
(i hope that i don't get into trouble quoting someone from one thread to another. it's because i'm reminded of what i have read in one place when i'm somewhere else ...)

New ground has always taken me some time to turn into a productive garden. A number times, I have turned a little piece of the environment into a home for garden plants that grew something different, for eons! In a way, and taking an organic route, the garden plants were having help from our domestic animals and whatever domestic plant material that I could get into that soil. An environment suitable to our garden plants, teamwork ...

Maine probably isn't all that different from the mountains and valleys of Idaho. Here's a quote from someone who knew something about how things fit together in the universe: It's Galileo's birthday (1564 ;)). “We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves.”

As inspiration, and hoping pumpkin_moon won't be offended by me moving her quote, here's Albert Einstein: "It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer."

;) Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score

:) It was years ago that I had a February when it seemed a good idea to start in the garden. I didn't have to do any driving to arrive there for work - that garden was just thru the backgate and across the alley. A very dry winter but starting too early on chilly mornings meant that my shovel had to break through a frozen crust of soil. A different February morning (the 17th, that year), I started seed indoors. Shoulda realized that it was too early and the plants would be rootbound before they could be transplanted out. It was below zero that morning! The 2020 growing season looks like a mystery from this distance.

;) Steve

Steve, have you started any seeds inside yet? I look out there and see so much to be done. I think I will be able to go way past my 15 minutes a day soon, at least I hope so. I think I am worried about my ground because of my root crops. It could be the timing of when I get things in the ground, but my onions were small and it seems I can barely grow a radish, beet or turnip. It has to be either I am planting too late or something is missing in my soil.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
nothing wrong with working 15 minutes at a time. i'm quite sure the hours would not be offended...

My legs are strong, but my arms are weak. I threw some small pieces of firewood into a pile and my arms went numb and hands tingling. Scared me. Chiropractor treatments have helped, but holding the rake and raking yesterday, later in the evening my arms were kind of aching and hands tingling. Something is still pinched in my neck. Chiropractor said when I get stressed, I am pulling my shoulders up and stressing my neck, so now I am aware of this and trying to stretch and relax my shoulders and it really helps. I may just take a chair to my garden and work and sit and drink tea, listen to birds, maybe take pictures and then go back to work. I am going to be gardening no matter what.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, have you started any seeds inside yet?
Only the onion seed planted in flats in the greenhouse. Leek seed was ordered and should be joining them soon.

Recent days were so sunny I had to open vents ... not today. Usually, I'm messing around with those flats early and late so that the soil doesn't freeze overnight.

Pepper seed in containers of soil soon. They will be in the kitchen.

Steve

pumpkin_moon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score

GWR, this is far from your first gardening efforts, even on that ground. That helps! And, you aren't starting off with bees, which may have been what @pumpkin_moon was referring to on her thread.

(i hope that i don't get into trouble quoting someone from one thread to another. it's because i'm reminded of what i have read in one place when i'm somewhere else ...)

New ground has always taken me some time to turn into a productive garden. A number times, I have turned a little piece of the environment into a home for garden plants that grew something different, for eons! In a way, and taking an organic route, the garden plants were having help from our domestic animals and whatever domestic plant material that I could get into that soil. An environment suitable to our garden plants, teamwork ...

Maine probably isn't all that different from the mountains and valleys of Idaho. Here's a quote from someone who knew something about how things fit together in the universe: It's Galileo's birthday (1564 ;)). “We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves.”

As inspiration, and hoping pumpkin_moon won't be offended by me moving her quote, here's Albert Einstein: "It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer."

;) Steve

;) Steve
Gotta start somewhere right? Something something the second best time to plant a tree is now (assuming it can survive the first endless winter). I like the idea of not being too hard on myself with the inevitable failures we will certainly face and learn the adjustments we need to make in the future BUT not biting off more than we can chew in the first year. I've been reading a lot about herbalism this winter and I'm also really looking forward to the medicinal herb garden and exploring the effects plants have on general fitness and well being.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Only the onion seed planted in flats in the greenhouse. Leek seed was ordered and should be joining them soon.

Recent days were so sunny I had to open vents ... not today. Usually, I'm messing around with those flats early and late so that the soil doesn't freeze overnight.

Pepper seed in containers of soil soon. They will be in the kitchen.

Steve

I will start my onions in the next day or so.

Latest posts