How big is your garden?

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have about 50x75 foot fenced in, plus berries and fruit trees elsewhere.

Ditto beavis' comment about the 4x8 beds -- I have six of them and they are too wide to work in effectively. It would be easy if they were waist high, but at 12-18" off the ground, I can't get into the middle of them without wanting to step in there. All future beds will be 2-3 feet wide. ESPECIALLY for the strawberries. Maybe only 18" for those! I will probably leave the two 4x8's that hold permanent plantings (Jerusalem artichoke in one, asparagus in the other) and remove the others eventually.

Everything else is moveable. I have several more rectangles of various shapes, and I simply lean them against the fence, go to town with the tiller, then plop them down where ever I want to grow something that season. Despite all the instructions for staking and leveling and attaching them... they really don't move once set in place! They serve more as a guide for the tiller and an assigned spot for the plants than a container for special soil (as in, sweet potato vines that escape and try to take over the garden are either trimmed or re-directed back inside their box.)

-Wendy

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
My main garden is a deer-fenced 50' x 75'. I have a couple of raised beds, 3'x8' and 3' x 16', both trellised and fenced to keep chickens and dogs out. Outside of that I have blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, grapes and an orchard with apples, pears, Asian pears, plums, peaches, apricots, mulberries, cherries, almonds, pecans, hazelnuts, English walnuts, a regular walnut, and hickories.

I am retired but this and my chickens keep me pretty busy, especially in certain seasons. I can, freeze, dehydrate, and pickle enough that we really don't buy vegetables for meals, just things I don't grow like celery and such.

gardentoad

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I container garden, in 96 half barrels plus all the vineing stuff and fruit trees with lots of room to expand.
All my containers are about 18" off the ground

Don

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, I have 3500 sq ft fenced in but I am going to put in raised beds this year and I am not quite sure what the exact size that will be when they are all built. I tried to figure it out tonight but it got really flustrating on paper. I need to just go out and step them off and Then I would know for sure. I should have a lot more space this year with going with the square foot gardening.

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yep, 4 foot wide beds are a little hard to work. 2-3 foot would be much better.

I'm not sure how big we are going this year. Probably one bed around 30 by 30, plus another maybe the same size. I'm a little apprehensive, however, because I'm not sure how much work it's going to be. This is our first year going big - last year we did a few 4x8 raised beds.

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Our gardens are huge! About 2 acres of vegetable area, and my flower garden is a large circle, sloping up to the centre. When everything fills out in the mid-summer, it looks like a giant bush!

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Detlor Poultry said:
Our gardens are huge! About 2 acres of vegetable area, and my flower garden is a large circle, sloping up to the centre. When everything fills out in the mid-summer, it looks like a giant bush!
Ok I am impressed and a little envious.:tools

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My garden is about 80'X 100'. My 4 year old grandson likes to help. He LOVES to pick and dig for "Treasure." His 1 year old brother already likes to dig. The older one shows his mom where to find the veggies for dinner. Yes she helped too when she was little.
I use a mantis tiller for weeding and my husband tills with a big Troybuilt tiller. I always over plant and it becomes like a jungle. The chickens eat the overgrown squash and other leftovers. When the winter hits we open the door between the garden and their pen and they eat whatever bugs they can find and scratch at the manure and leaves that we add to the garden in the fall.

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My Dahlia Garden is about 150' X 80'........
7566_dahlias_8_30_2009_030.jpg

Latest posts