How big is your garden?

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So this year I plan on expanding a bit. If the chickens get the weed killing down, I plan on expanding to about 22k sq feet. How big is everyone else's gardens?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wish i had a good tiller. When I started I did a quarter acre by hand with a shovel. I was 16... roll I plan on expanding to half an acre this year. About 22k sq feet.
I think you dropped a "2" in your posting here . . .

Half an acre - that's BIG! And, your garden will be about "2k" bigger than what I had in 2007. You can see a picture of part of my big veggie garden on digitS' EasyGarden page.

And, if you are goin' larger, I don't know, I may be goin' smaller. One reason I came to this forum was because of the name!! It may be time for me to take it a little easier!

Steve's digits

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Joan, you found me out . . . I sell the surplus at a farmers' market. It pays for all of my gardening. :D

I was saying a few years ago that I'd been gardening, man & boy, for about 40 years. Since I grew up on a small farm and then worked in agriculture thru nearly all of my working career - continuing to garden with whatever "residual strength" I've got in my old age just made sense . . .

Gotta admit that the $$ from the carrots and spinach and flowers taken in over the Summer tends to go for bananas, oranges, and broccoli thru the Winter. :)

Steve

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So, what, 'garden' just means veggies now? ;P

I need to concentrate on getting woody plants planted (basically for windbreak purposes, also for deuglification) and large beds 'roughed in' for future ornamental and groundcover planting (so we have less to mow!). I also have 3 horses and chickens to take care of, and a lot of things around the house and barn that need much work, plus 2 small children who because we're right up against a 65 mph country road can't be left to roam free.

So, my veg garden is currently, uh, I think 12x12 although I am aiming to enlarge to maybe 16x16 for next year. I doubt I'll go bigger than that unless/until the kids want to do some of the work. There's just other things I'd rather do with my time, you know?

Lazily yours,

Pat

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hahaha, Fixed it! The garden foods are either eaten, saved for the rest of the year, or given away. Alot of the vining stuff vine everywhere... and don't really produce that many fruits. :rolleyes: And some of the season here is so short that it never makes it to harvest but I try anywyas. The chickens like to tear up all the non fenced in areas too.

sgtsheart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Mine will be at least an acre, maybe more. BUT, that won't all be vegetable garden. As I posted sometime before, I plan on having a secret garden mixed in with my veggies and antique farm implements to 'decorate' with. Also, unpacking my Christmas decorations (that were previously stored at my Dad's house) I came across my water fairy, so I'll have to design some type of lil' pond for her to spray her water into; even if it's no bigger than a round rubbermaid tote.
I'm lucky that the sgt has a large tractor, I have the baby tractor, and we have 2 tillers.
On our next trip to the nearest big town (6,000 ppl) I plan on checking out their farmer's or tailgate market. Might sell some there, if it all works out according to theory and plan A.

Oh, almost forgot. What doesn't wind up as actual garden I am gonna till up for wildflowers. I have the job of bushhogging around the immediate house area so less work for me....though secretly I love being on the baby tractor.

Latest posts